DL-06/ECOM linking to PC problem

DRS

Hi Forum.

Background: Been using Directsoft32 Ver.4 on a laptop with XP to program DL-06 PLCs with the ECOM module as my link to download the ladder programs (and life was good).

The problem:Got a new Laptop with Vista and while I can link to the C-More touchscreen displays, I can't get a link to the ECOM/DL-06 PLC. it does show up on the Net3 screen and because Vista does not support the IPX Protocol, under the Directsoft32 link editor if I select the UDP/IP Protocol the Ecom module also shows up on its list but I still get a link error.

My next step: After trying everything to manualing entering the settings to no use, I called Automation Direct's help line and was told it can't be done in Directsoft32 Ver.4 and that I would have to upgrade to Ver.5 for it to work.

The Question:Has anyone been able to link the DL-06/ECOM to a Vista PC using the Directsoft32 Ver.4 software?, and if so how was it done.

While it would be cheaper to get a USB to serial adapter(laptop has no RS-232 ports) and go in that way, I would like to use the ECOM if I can.

Thanks for your time.
Tommy

titoyabril

Thanks for the feedback, while it may not be what I would have liked to hear, it is what it is. And as you say it may be worth the extra costs for the upgrade to Ver.5. But after a trip to Radio Shack for a USB to Serial adapter to put a comm port on my laptop, plus a stop at Walmart for a short 6 pin phone line cord i was able to put together a serial cable for port1. While it's not as fast as the ethernet link it does work, so I can get this project done on time(Life is good again!). Now I have found one plus to this deal, I don't have to switch cables between the C-more and the PLC each time I want to make changes, ethernet works for the C-more, RS-232 for the PLC.

But once I get this project done I'll check out the upgrade, maybe it'll help get these projects off my bench sooner.

Tommy