RSLogix5k SLC500 Mapping

junior

I'm working on setup where a Panelview 1000 will communicate with a compact logix processor via DH485 protocol. I've sucessfully mapped integers and real(floats) into the compactlogix processor, but where I seem to have an issue is with the booleans. I have a 32bit boolean array in compact logix mapped to file 3. From the panelview I have access to addresses B3:0/0 to B3:0/15 but when I go to B3:1/0 (boolarray[16]) to B3:1/15 (boolarray[31] the panelview doesn't access these. I have these tags set up as bits in panelbuilder32. Any ideas why the panelview won't see the B3:1 addresses?

TIA

Jr.

Ken Moore said:
Wild guess here, but have you tried B3:0/16? or B3/16 without the colon?

I have, the problem is that I get an error from Panelbuilder32 that there's a problem with that address. I'm wondering if I have to use Boolean in panelbuilder 32 or a bit array instead of a bit for those tags.

I believe you need to use bit array in PB32 for those tags. Don't quote me because it's been about 5 years since I've done this with a Logix5000 plc and traditional panelview.

LJBMatt said:
I believe you need to use bit array in PB32 for those tags. Don't quote me because it's been about 5 years since I've done this with a Logix5000 plc and traditional panelview.

I can get this to work if I map to an integer array in comapct logix, and then in panelbuilder32 I then create a bit array tag. But I can't seem to get it to work if I have a bit tag in PB32 and map it to the boolean array in CLX. I can connect to the boolean addresses 0-15, but not 16-31.

You definitely have to use a BOOL array.

I would advise against using file 3 in the PLC/SLC mapping and stick with file 7 and up and use Integer data type in the PV.

File 3 acts a little strange depending upon how the optimization routine calculates the request in the PV.

It's hard to explain but it basically boils down to the fact that the PV is treating the B3 file as 16 bit words while the Clogix considers them 32 bit words. If you only read from the PLC, everything lines up but if you write from the PV to the PLC, problems occur.

You can look on AB's website at knowledge base ID 18034 and it gives more of a detailed explanation on this.

cjh said:
You can look on AB's website at knowledge base ID 18034 and it gives more of a detailed explanation on this.

Ok, that was the issue (sort of). It seems like when writing from the PV to the PLC, B3:1/0 = Bool[32] in the plc, but when writing from plc to pv, then bool[16] = B3:1/0. Very confusing, but this is how the system is working for me.

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about.
That's why it is better to stick with Integer data type in the PV and INT arrays in the Clogix.

cjh said:
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about.
That's why it is better to stick with Integer data type in the PV and INT arrays in the Clogix.

I agree, but I already have the program written this way, and I have everything communicating now, so I'm going to leave it. It was a good excercise to go through for the future.