communication with rslinx and controllogix 5000.

kedarkg

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am putting up a controllogix system. I have server which has controllogix license and Rslinx license. I am trying to see backplane in RSWHO in RSLINX. I am using ethernet for communication. I have AB_ETH driver running in my RSLINX.Controllogix processor is brand new. I am not able to see the processor. I know I am missing something in procedure of setting up the communication. Does anyone know publication # or catalog # on rockwell website or any other documentation, I can refer to while setting up communication.
Thank you in advance.
Kedarkg

Also make sure you have the latest RSLinx...As newer processors are released, it sometimes takes an RSLinx upgrade to see them other than as an unrecognized device.

I am not able to see the processor.

can you see the Ethernet module? ...

if "yes" can you also see the backplane? ...

have you tried to connect to the system through the processor's serial port? ... sometimes that's the easiest/most-reliable way when you're first setting up a new system ... if that approach works you can usually drill down to the Ethernet module - and explore its properties and setup parameters ... often that information helps with the initial configuration ...

so where in SC? ...

To add to jimbo's post, if it has not been configured, you have two options:

1) connect via null modem cable to the processor and configure the eithernet card.

2) connect via Ethernet and use the bootp utility to configure it.

either way, you will need to be sure you uncheck the bootp option in the card properties, or next time you cycle power, the IP will be lost.