Siemens MP370 connection

odonnea2

Hi,
I have a S7-400 414-3-DP PLC (which I can access). This is connected via Profibus to a MP370 Panel (which is located in a Clean Room and is not easily accessible). I also have a CP 443-1 Industrial Ethernet Card installed (however this is not yet "setup"). My question is this:
If I set up the Ethernet Card will I be able to go online via Ethernet to the MP370 and perform upload/downloads via ProSave.

I understand that I could also go online to the panel via Profibus using a Profibus PC Adapter (which I don't have), but as the Ethernet Card is installed I assume this would be the most convenient way.
Thanks in Advance.

odonnea2 said:
Hi,
I have a S7-400 414-3-DP PLC (which I can access). This is connected via Profibus to a MP370 Panel (which is located in a Clean Room and is not easily accessible). I also have a CP 443-1 Industrial Ethernet Card installed (however this is not yet "setup"). My question is this:
If I set up the Ethernet Card will I be able to go online via Ethernet to the MP370 and perform upload/downloads via ProSave.

I understand that I could also go online to the panel via Profibus using a Profibus PC Adapter (which I don't have), but as the Ethernet Card is installed I assume this would be the most convenient way.
Thanks in Advance.

No it is not possible to go from Ethernet to profibus you have to connect a separate Ethernet cabel to the panel then its possible to use the Ethernet connection together with prosave

If the MP370 is connected to the ethernet network, then yes.
If the MP370 is only connected to the profibus network, then only via the Profibus PC adapter.

There are some restrictions regarding routing, that only apply when the target is a panel.

This will not work:
PC --(MPI/DP)--> S7 --(Ethernet)--> Panel
PC --(ethernet)--> S7 --(MPI/DP)--> Panel

This will work:
PC --(MPI/DP)--> S7 --(MPI/DP)--> Panel
PC --(MPI/DP)--> S7 --(ethernet)--> S7 --(MPI/DP)--> Panel

I recommend that you go the direct way to the panel via ethernet.

Many thanks for the info.
I would like to connect via ethernet but cannot access the Panel to do so. So I will have to take the PC --(MPI/DP)--> S7 --(MPI/DP)--> Panel route, as suggested.

I have since found a PC Adapter USB, however as I was searching for information I came accross the following on the Siemens site:

"- When you want to transfer projects to panels, this is not released with USB PC adapter."
https://www.automation.siemens.com/WW/forum/guests/PostShow.aspx?HTTPS=REDIR&PageIndex=1&PostID=88450&Language=en

This is suggesting that I cannot download to my Panel using the USB PC adapter. Is this the case?

I quickly tried to display the accessible nodes using the USB adapter by plugging in to the Profibus Interface on the PLC, and setting the Simatic PG/PC interface to PC Adapter (Profibus) - however I got the following error message
"The Local MPI address for the programming device/PC is higher that the maximum node address or the wrong transmission rate or wrong interupt is set"
The PC adapter properties I used are attached.

Note: I can see the PLC no problem by setting the Simatic interface to PC Adapter (MPI), and plugging into the MPI/DP interface on the PLC, however it is ultimately the Panel I need to access.
Again thanks for your help on this.

Baudrate maybe ? Check what the Profibus network is set to, then match the PG/PC Adapters settings.

Apart from that, what you are attempting is this:
PC --(DP)--> Panel

To connect like this
PC --(MPI)--> S7 --(DP)--> Panel
is called "routing".
You have to make a "PG/PC" or a "PC Station" that resembles your programming PC in your STEP7 project.
And then you have to download an updated hardware configuration to the S7 PLC, this so that it knows how to route from your programming PC to the panel. Go search for "routing" to get more detailed help.

I am working in a pretty restricted environment so would prefer not to take the "routing" option.
I have matched the Profibus Network tranmission rate to the PG/PC interface yet I am still experiencing the same error. Furthermore I could not see any setting for the "interupt" nor was any information available in the help files etc.

I'd just be interested to know if anybody has hooked up to the Profibus network successfully in this way. Otherwise I will just try and secure some downtime so I can connect direct to the panel via Ethernet/MPI.

Thanks for your help

On the MP370, is the DP port set to "remote control" ? This means that Prosave can switch the panel to transfer mode.
Otherwise, you have to switch the panel to transfer mode on the panel itself before starting the upload from Prosave.

I dont know about that you cannot use the USB adapter in connection with a panel. I think they refer to that there is no 24V in the port on the panel. This is not relevant if you physically plug the USB adapter to the DP port on the PLC.

One last issue with this. I have since heard back from the vendor who has suggested to set the "PG/PC is only master on the bus" checkbox, to enable me to see the PLC and Panel via PROFIBUS connection.

The only concern with this is that when I searched for information on this function in the HELP files it noted that this checkbox is a safety function and enabling it can cause connections to the network to be lost in some cases. There is only one PLC on my PROFIBUS network - would setting the above checkbox cause any forseeable problems?