Messaging Help

JimH

I'm not too familiar with messaging. I already have a message writing from one SLC 5/04 to another. It is only writing 3 elements, and I want to increase it. I tried going offline, changing the element size, and downloading the program back to the processor. But it does not work. Any ideas?

You should need to verify that the length of the source AND the destination files are large enough to support increasing the number of elements read. If they are then you should be able to make this change online without downloading. You would only need to download if you have to increase the size of one of your files.

You did not mention just how much longer you were trying to make your message either?

RSL

I'm trying to increase the size by 5 elements. The source and destination data tables are large enough. But it won't let me change the element size (in the setup screen) online. I have to go offline to change it.

You may be right, I have been living in ControlLogix land for a long time now. It may be offline only, sorry.

However if you are only increasing the size by 5 it should be good.

The message errors out?

RSL

you should be able to make this change ONLINE - but you have to put the rung in the EDIT mode first ... once the change has been made, you must Accept - Test - and finally Assemble the edits ...

but ...

if you made the change OFFLINE and then DOWNLOADED to the processor (the way you said you did) then the change should have worked without jumping through the "online edit" hoops that I mentioned above ...

so ...

what do you mean by:

but it does not work.

that covers a LOT of territory ... can you post your .RSS file? ... or at least give us more details to work with ...

big question ... does your system use an EEPROM (memory chip)? ... if so, the old (pre-change) program might be reloading automatically to the processor at startup ...

Yep, You will probably have to keep the power on the other plc.

Glad you found the issue.

That was a good though about the EPROM Ron. That did not occur to me.

RSL