Can memory be damaged by power cycling of machine online?

Peacemaker

Hi guys, a couple of days ago I found my laptop's memory module was damaged after using laptop onlne with micrologix controller. I remember I did power-cycling a couple of times with interface cable connected with MicroLogix controller. After normal shutdown I tried to start my laptop but there were just beeps and nothing happened. Found memory was damaged. Now my laptop is OK.

Can memory module be damaged by power cycling with electrical shock through interface cable? Or this is just a coincidental. Actually this interface signal is not isolated electronically. I used a aftermarket cable. Is there any eletonically isolated interface cable employing optoisolator?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Peacemaker said:
Can memory module be damaged by power cycling with electrical shock through interface cable? Or this is just a coincidental.

This reminds me of a joke.

A software engineer, hardware engineer and departmental manager were on their way to a meeting in Switzerland.

They were driving down a steep mountain road when suddenly the brakes failed. The car careened out of control, bouncing off guard rails until it miraculously ground to a scraping halt along the mountainside. The occupants of the car were unhurt, but they had a problem. They were stuck halfway down the mountain in a car with no brakes.

"I know" said the manager. "Let's have a meeting, propose a Vision, formulate a Mission Statement, define some Goals, and through a process of Continuous Improvement, find a solution to the Critical Problems and we'll be on our way."

"No," said the hardware engineer. "I've got my Swiss army knife with me. I can strip down the car's braking system, isolate the fault, fix it, and we'll be on our way."

"Wait," said the software engineer. "Before we do anything, shouldn't we push the car back to the top of the mountain and see if it happens again?"

I would probably take the programmer's approach... :)

Seriously though, It was most likely the fault of the cable. I've had static take out the program (but not damage the memory card) of Series Sixes when plugging in the programming cable.

So, yeah, it can happen.

Peacemaker said:
Is there any eletonically isolated interface cable employing optoisolator?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes there is, a 1761-NET-AIC+ see pdf below.