wireless connection to compactlogix

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have spent the better part of the day trying to connect to a compactlogix ethernet card via a linksys WRT54GS router without success.

I have tried using an ethernet device driver with linx version 2.52. I am using the router's default IP address of 192.168.1.1. The enet card in the compactlogix bus has 192.168.1.10 for its IP address.

I have not been able to find the specific settings for the router. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JeffB said:
I have spent the better part of the day trying to connect to a compactlogix ethernet card via a linksys WRT54GS router without success.

I have tried using an ethernet device driver with linx version 2.52. I am using the router's default IP address of 192.168.1.1. The enet card in the compactlogix bus has 192.168.1.10 for its IP address.

I have not been able to find the specific settings for the router. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The routers IP is your actual Gateway.
Not sure if you need it or not.
Your ENBT is what it is and your notebook must be assinged an IP as well.
Haven't tried a CompactLogic but same setup works for an SLC 5/05 here, no issues.
Do you use crossover patch cables? That may be an issue.
Can you ping any of the devices?

JeffB,
I am using the same equipment with no problems.
Not sure what you mean by
compactlogix ethernet card
I am using 1769-L32E which has built in Ethernet port.
I have noticed that sometimes RSlinx Ethernet driver will only look at the RJ-45 Ethernet port or "Local Area Connection" when browsing for connections, other times it will look at the "Wireless Network Connection" when browsing. I dont think there is a way to force a RSLinx driver to use a specific network connection on the laptop. I just try to have only one of the 2 connections connected when I start up RSLinx. Does any of that make sense? Hope I didn't confuse you even more.
In other words, connect your laptop to the WRT45G via the wireless, disconnect any cables to the laptops RJ-45 Ethernet port & then start up RSLinx.
BD

Just to clarify, your routers Gateway IP is of no use to you. This would only come into effect if you were trying to connect from the WAN side of the router. Make sure your computer has a DHCP IP address issued from the router and enter the PLC address in Linx not your gateway.

JeffB said:

make sure your subnet mask on your PC and PLC are the same as the router. I use wireless all the time on start ups, so they do work.

Before even launching Rslinx, make sure you can Ping the IP of the Compactlogix from the DOS command prompt window

bradal said:
Just to clarify, your routers Gateway IP is of no use to you. This would only come into effect if you were trying to connect from the WAN side of the router. Make sure your computer has a DHCP IP address issued from the router and enter the PLC address in Linx not your gateway.

I have had on the L32E that if the gateway is not set in the controller itself, you can not connect to it except by serial.

Check to make sure your gateway on the controller is not set to the IP address of the laptop in which you set it or some other odd IP address.

Just a note to follow up on a comment made earlier....

RSLinx ver 2.54 when configuring an Ethernet driver now asks you which adapter it should use. So you should be able to pick the built-in wired or the wireless adapter this way. So far it seems to work great for me.

OG