ACS800 & ControlNet

gregmoulds

I am using a RCNA-01 comm module for communicating to several ABB ACS800 drives (non-redundant). The ACS800 drives hum along for a long time and then just stops (Error Code 7510 - COMM MODULE). ControlNet network has been completely checked, the scanner continues to operate (I/O and Rockwell drive on the same network continue to operate). Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions?

Timeout setting on drive is about 10 x scanner cycle time. Increasing this time has not helped. ABB and rep are no help.

ABB has some drive field support engineers (at least in the US they do) that are quite remarkable. You need to pressure your local ABB rep to find some close to you and get them on the phone. These guys are quite busy, but you would be amazed at what they can remember just talking with them while they are in an airport between flights.

They have saved our rear ends a few times while we were developing a dual roll dyno with independent rolls to test a rear differential (simulating cornering). Not easy and we use ControlNet to set velocity, torque mode, master slave (the drives are also linked with ABB's fiber optic connection) and set points. They also helped us to gain some additional I/O words by supplying us with a tech document that shows you how to setup some custom messages in the ControlLogix to create the IO words.

Can not say enough about their tech support (from the field engineers).

Darren

Last edited: