Passwods in S7 200 and 300/400 series plcs

nijaseng

Hi PLC gurus

I am having some s7 plcs are password potected. But these are different types of protection.I can't communicate with the port of some s7 200 plcs . The port itself password protected.When I am trying to communicate with the plc it is asking the password. The other type in s7 300 is , I can upload or monitor the program . But I can't do any modification(download) even can't force one flag bit.

May I know the types of protection?

How the password can be assigned for protection? i.e. procedure

Can we break these passwords ?

Any help will be highly appreciated

for s7-200
Password protection: There is now a level 4 password protection to provide more security for the intellectual property of the program author.
you can look at page 47 of s7-200 system manual for further information.
for s7-300
Password Protection for Access to Programmable Controllers Using password protection you can:

· Protect the user program in the CPU and its data from unauthorized changes (write protection)

· Protect the programming know-how in your user program (read protection)

· Prevent online functions that would interfere with the process

for more infomation look in the Simatic Manager help file.

for breaking password use the search button, similar forums, google search .. ect.