commucation port woes

n00byuk

hi am new to PLC's in general i have a bit of a problem with a siemens S7-216, i wasn't paying attention for one reason or another but have accidentally hooked it up with using an omron cable, like duh to much going on around me.

now it seems that i can't connect to the plc at all, do u think that using this omron cable had knackered up the ports of the S7? is there any way i can test/repair this problem?

GAH

much thx in advance

n00byuk said:
hi am new to PLC's in general i have a bit of a problem with a siemens S7-216, i wasn't paying attention for one reason or another but have accidentally hooked it up with using an omron cable, like duh to much going on around me.

now it seems that i can't connect to the plc at all, do u think that using this omron cable had knackered up the ports of the S7? is there any way i can test/repair this problem?

GAH

much thx in advance
If you can use your laptop and go online with other PLC's then the problem may be the S7-200 port.
If you cannot use your laptop with other PLC's I'd say the serial port on your laptop is gone.
As far as repairing the PLC port, I'd say get a new PLC, it'll cost you only a few bucks more than the repair service bill.

thx for the reply

i think the serial port on the laptop is ok, i have also tried to hook up a TD200 with no joy keep getting a "CPU not responding" messege. shall try the laptop later to make sure but am thinking the S7 port is damaged.

the PLC is a 1st gen model if i have to replace it, it will be with a newer model i take it the program that was used on the older PLC will run fine on the new PLC?

n00byuk said:
thx for the reply

i think the serial port on the laptop is ok, i have also tried to hook up a TD200 with no joy keep getting a "CPU not responding" messege. shall try the laptop later to make sure but am thinking the S7 port is damaged.

the PLC is a 1st gen model if i have to replace it, it will be with a newer model i take it the program that was used on the older PLC will run fine on the new PLC?
All you have to do if you use a newer version of the software is to import the old program and then assuming correcting any warnings/errors download to the newer one.
If you do have an older software version and the newer CPU type does not show up on the list you may have to upgrade your software as well.
As far as the program goes, you should be fine.