datacaptation... how to begin...

userxyz

Hi guys,

We have tried many things and tought about a lot of possibillities.

We tried CSV log files from panels on an ethernet network and store them on a server.
Problem is that csv files can be corrupted when shutting of the main cabinet. So we need to buy an UPS for each machine. Cost aprox. 200 euros / machine.

We tought about the OPC server in Multipanels. But then we have to write IT applications and the smaller Operating Panels do not have this option.

I think, the best thing to buy is WinCC. But, what does it cost for aprox 1000 tags ?

Or is WInCC Flexible also possible to use as a Scada for more then 20 machines ?

For WinCC Flexible, you need to use OPC to get more than 8 connections.
Softnet S7 IE LEAN is not sufficient, as it is limited to 8 connections, so you need a "full" Softnet license.

edit: I do not know if it is possible to use Recipes when the connection is with OPC. Byt if you write your own recipe handling in the PLC then that should not be a problem I guess.

I recommend that you setup everything and make a test before you actually buy any licenses.

Last edited:
hey

It has nothing to do with the project where I will use recipes and batching.

This is something for our own company that we need datacaptation.

8 connections is not much...

Can wincc flex runtime have 8 connections at the same time without using 'change connection' ?

JesperMP said:
For WinCC Flexible, you need to use OPC to get more than 8 connections.
Softnet S7 IE LEAN is not sufficient, as it is limited to 8 connections, so you need a "full" Softnet license.

edit: I do not know if it is possible to use Recipes when the connection is with OPC. Byt if you write your own recipe handling in the PLC then that should not be a problem I guess.

I recommend that you setup everything and make a test before you actually buy any licenses.

Wait a moment, if I use Change COnnection, then maybe I can make more then 8 connections (not at the same time) :)

I'll check it out

change connection is only for profibus and mpi...

so 8 connections should be possible, nothing more...

Subject " datacaptation... how to begin..."

But that's not how I read it. I was sure it said "decapitation... how to begin..."

Well, you get your axe really sharp ...

Hi,

What seems to be the problem when you shutdown the panels?

We have 13 OP's logging to a server, they get switched of whenever a technician feels the need to 'reset' the machine. We haven't had this corruption of csv files yet.

It does happen when you try to access the file while the panel is active. For instance when your machine is running and you want to open the csv file, the panel will stop logging. And won't start again until the file has been deleted.
Accessing the file through some other program, like excell or VB-proggie will give same results.

If you want to see the csv file, you should copy it do a different location and open the copied one.

Ken: There are a few other ways, slightly more gruesome, but an axe will do the job nicely......:D

Combo said:
I think, the best thing to buy is WinCC. But, what does it cost for aprox 1000 tags ?

I can think of a dozen ways that would be better and cheaper than WinCC (unless your company has a spec where you have to use only Siemens products).

Take a look at Inductive Automation. Put their software and a Kepware OPC Server on your server, install MSSQL Server Express (free), and you can log whatever you want. I wouldn't want to be logging to flat files anyway.

tocuh in the dark

Isn't this a touch in the dark for me ? I mean, I only know Siemens a little...

S7Guy said:
I can think of a dozen ways that would be better and cheaper than WinCC (unless your company has a spec where you have to use only Siemens products).

Take a look at Inductive Automation. Put their software and a Kepware OPC Server on your server, install MSSQL Server Express (free), and you can log whatever you want. I wouldn't want to be logging to flat files anyway.

okay

okay, tomorow I can watch the demo

tnx

S7Guy said:

Yeah, the IA guys do a good job with the demo. They make it pretty clear.

To mention some of the features that you would take advantage of, you get unlimited development time without buying the software (you just need to restart the license every two hours, similar to Kepware). And, you get unlimited tags, so you can plan your project anyway you want without worrying whether you will exceed 512, 1024, or whatever number of tags. I evlauated several packages last year (including Citect, Wonderware, WinCC, and InduSoft), and there just wasn't a comparison.

IA wouldn't make sense for a small stand-alone machine due to cost, but it is perfect for collecting data, not to mention that adding client GUIs couldn't be easier (no software to install). Give it a try.

Ken M said:
Subject " datacaptation... how to begin..."

But that's not how I read it. I was sure it said "decapitation... how to begin..."

Well, you get your axe really sharp ...
OK, done

What's the next step???

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw decapitation...

Combo, the proper term in English would be "data capture". It appears that datacaptation may be a Dutch translation??

OZEE said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw decapitation...

Combo, the proper term in English would be "data capture". It appears that datacaptation may be a Dutch translation??

Yep datacaptatie is dutch... for data capture