New Laptops and serial ports

n_lev

Hi, guys!

I was just wondering if anyone can share their experiences on the matter...

Our company has been using Dell Precision series for last 3-4 years. Now Dell is releasing new platform. Good solid laptops with one big problem - no serial ports. I do understand that it has been a trend for past 5 years and it's been getting really hard to find new laptops with serial ports. But is posses a big issue for us since USB->COM converters don't work with all software (especially old).

How have you guys been dealing with the issue? And what are your thoughts about future of the situation?

Easy. Specify a serial port to Dell.
They will supply as build units for you, with your hardware recommendations.

We use the Dell D630, for example.

I bought a fujitsu laptop with a docking station, docking station had a proper serial port on it. And as an added bonus the laptop and docking station combined weigh less and are smaller than my previous laptop (less strain to carry it around0

SNK said:
Easy. Specify a serial port to Dell.
They will supply as build units for you, with your hardware recommendations.

We use the Dell D630, for example.
Our system admin says NEW series of Dell (E-generation) WILL NOT have serial ports even if requested

kevin91172 said:
What software are we talking about?I had a little problem with Eaton Panel mate software.
I don't have a list handy but our service guys have to deal with whole bunch of different old PLCs and software for them: TI/S5, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, etc.
Plus various VSDs, barcode scanners, etc.

Dell would not give the option of serial port with the new E
Latitude even on the docking.

The D Latitude suppose to stay until the end of the year.
I will buy one before the end of the year and postpone the problems 3 year.

Recently my employer ran into a similar issue, and the way we ended up getting around it, was purchasing a couple Allen Bradley USB to Serial Connector unit, part number 9300-USBS. Interestingly enough, I've used this with Mitsubishi PLC's, as well as Monitouch HMI's, and it's not given me any trouble connecting.
We have both Win XP and Win 2k laptops, and the drivers for this cable haven't given us any issues yet. Might be worth looking into for you.

n_lev said:
Hi, guys!

I was just wondering if anyone can share their experiences on the matter...

Our company has been using Dell Precision series for last 3-4 years. Now Dell is releasing new platform. Good solid laptops with one big problem - no serial ports. I do understand that it has been a trend for past 5 years and it's been getting really hard to find new laptops with serial ports. But is posses a big issue for us since USB->COM converters don't work with all software (especially old).

How have you guys been dealing with the issue? And what are your thoughts about future of the situation?

Matthew@LSC said:
Recently my employer ran into a similar issue, and the way we ended up getting around it, was purchasing a couple Allen Bradley USB to Serial Connector unit, part number 9300-USBS. Interestingly enough, I've used this with Mitsubishi PLC's, as well as Monitouch HMI's, and it's not given me any trouble connecting.
We have both Win XP and Win 2k laptops, and the drivers for this cable haven't given us any issues yet. Might be worth looking into for you.
Thanks for a hint!

As I understand it, the problem comes when the software requires direct access to the serial port. A USB/serial converter provides only a virtual serial port and will not work with certain software/hardware combinations.

Our solution was PCMCIA serial ports. The ones we use are from a company called Brainboxes http://www.brainboxes.com/category/pcmcia.aspx

It's a UK site but they are available in USA and other parts of the world. I'm sure other companies make a similar product.

It's not the cheapest option, but they provide your laptop with a real serial port and they work with stuff that refuses to work with a USB/serial converter. I've not found anything yet that they don't work with.

"Our solution was PCMCIA serial ports."

We started to look into this, but unfortunately, most of the new laptops given to the maintenance department have been coming in without the benefit of having any PCMCIA ports to be used.

n_lev,
Check out the Panasonic Toughbook line of machines (CF-52). 15.4" screen,RS-232 port, PC Card slot type II. More expensive ($1,700 to $2,200)than most. I've used one for a year now. Worth the extra money IMHO. CDW has a one week wait to get one it looks like.
BD

Our company uses the Dell Precision M4300 for our engineers, when the IT department orders new laptops they specify Windows XP and a serial port. I got my new one in January, but I know as reciently as June we have ordered laptops with these specifications.

Current Laptops with Serial Ports

I cannot convince our Corporation's IT Department that we still NEED serial ports on our laptops in the field. I'm currently doing a little research on the subject. I personally purchased a Toshiba Tecra M10 recently (still available) with all the right goodies AND a DB9 Serial port. Also if you look at pictures of the Dell E5500 you will see the serial port on the left side of the unit.

I have tested 4 adapters for our IT guys and all have failed to work with everything we have in the field.

Two are PCMCIA to Serial, and two are USB to Serial. All failed on at least 2 out of about a dozen devices. Most people with a limited supply of serial devices will find an adapter that works for their application, but I have yet to see one that is as universal as the good old COM1 DB9 Motherboard Port.

Anyway, I'm interested in any models that do have serial ports as I want to compile a list and possibly a website where we can post currently available models and post tested results communicating with industrial field devices.