PLC 5 to ControlLogix Conversion

peng

Hi there, I have a request from one of my customers to do a PLC 5 to ControlLogix conversion. I familiar with the programs and the design.

What are some of the questions to ask the customer before I commit to this task.

Processor type, IO count, copy of the program, electrical drawings,......................

When I do similar conversions or upgrades, a copy of the program and the schematics is usually all that's required. Don't forget to check whether or not the PLC 5 gear has some sort of HMI attached to it, and what comms it might be using with anything else on site.

peng said:
Hi there, I have a request from one of my customers to do a PLC 5 to ControlLogix conversion. I familiar with the programs and the design.

What are some of the questions to ask the customer before I commit to this task.

Processor type, IO count, copy of the program, electrical drawings,......................

Ask them how much down time they can afford to give you. We have found that on 24/7 operations where we get a 30 minute window to swap from PLC 5 to Clgx, it is usually better to design a solution that utilizes all the existing I/O and I/O racks and wiring.

If PLC5 has RIO, then use a 1756-DHRIO card. If PLC5 chassis has the only I/O , consider using Controlnet.

Find out if any DH+ messaging is required to other PLCs