Omron Zen

R.DesJardin

I need to know how I can read RPM with my Zen. I am using timers and counters right now with resets to show increased or decreased RPM. Not sure if it will work though. I want to triggers solenoids on and off at predetermined RPM's.
RD

Good luck with that but I honestly beleive ZEN is not a good tool for that kind of task. It is not for nothing it is called a "programmable relay" rather than a "PLC": the programming options are too limited and the program size is too small.

I would suggest spending a few hundered dollares more and going with a low-end CJ1 (if you want to stick with Omron family). Of course this is just an opinion, I could be wrong.

BTW, what is the max RPM you want to detect and how accurate and repeatable your trigger points have to be?

Info

The reason I currently use the Zen is cost. Any large increase in cost would not be feasable. Adding this RPM feaqture is just something I'd like to have.
RPM accuracy is +/-50. Max RPM would be 6000, assuming I see one input per rev.
Thanks
RD

If I understand correctly, you have some kind of sensor that pulses once for every revolution of the shaft? If so then your pulse rate at 6000 rpm is 100 Hz, or a period of 10 milliseconds. If you are simply measuring the time between pulses to determine the RPM, this is way too fast for many PLCs, let alone a cheapo smart relay. Moreover, the difference in period between 5900 and 6000 rpm (your specified tolerance) is only 170 microseconds.... waaaaaaaay too short to be detected.

You really need to be using a PLC with a high-speed input. I'm not very familiar with Omron PLCs, but I know you can get a Micrologix 1100 (with a 20kHz input) for about $500.

Zen

Yes I have a V2 model DC supply, it has a high speed counter function. It's a 12V model and is used for controls in automotive use, custom project, but useable for many.
So is my counting within a specific time theory going to work, or is there a better way. As I mentioned before going to a more expensive PLC is not an option.

Your lot must be pretty lousy if a CP1 is too expensive - I do not even use the Zen anymore. The lowest end I use is the CP1L but a lot of CJ1M.

Options

Well I needed a controller that can run on 12V supply, and simple to learn program, I bought the Zen and learned the programming with a little help from my friends.
This is for my own part time business I run out of my shop. The Zen is working fine for what I intended, but I want to go to the next step with the RPM sequence.
I have been eyeing the DL05's from Automation Direct and then go with their Micro HMI, but I am familiar with the Zen already.
RD