Redundant RSSQL

dchartier

Hello all;

We face a situation for which we would require some information. Our client has an RSSQL application running, with Controllogix L62 processors (redundant) and redundant RSView SE servers, using a FactoryTalk directory and RSLinx Enterprise; they are asking us to make the RSSQL redundant as well. Rockwell's site is very stingy in their documentation for this; the only application note I have found requires an extra database server (SQL Server v. 7.0) on a separate machine, along with the two licensed RSSQL servers. It also requires some PLC programming and scripting in both RSSQL servers. The following illustration is extracted from that application note:
RSSQL_redundant.jpg

On the mr.plc forum, I found this comment on RRSQL (2 years old) from TWControls: It is also capable of running very easily running on redundant servers and includes buffering for when your data servers are offline.
Could TWControls tell us how he was shown this easy running installation was to be configured? Any other applicabl;e comment from the forum would also be welcome.

Note: I realize there are many other products available for this kind of application (I am looking at Factory SQL at the moment for future reference), however we have no choice on the selection of software for the moment.
Many thanks,
Daniel Chartier

You should be able to contact Tim easily enough. Send me a PM if you're unable to get a hold of him on mrplc.

I recommend contacting your local Rockwell rep. Redundancy on such platform can be a dicey issue - don't take the word of us forum folks without proving the concept or getting some assurance from Rockwell. Ensure that you have the whole system figured out to include: potential supporting PLC changes, software and database configuration, and software licensing. Good luck with the project.