Simoreg Dc Drive 6ra7031-6dv62-0-z

newphytes

Dear drive and motor expert, Can anybody share me a light on some of my doubts regarding drives and dc motor,

In our plant here in KSA, we have a conveyor that are driven by 20HP dc motor. The motor is controlled by SIMOREG DC DRIVE 6RA7031-6DV62-0-Z having a tacho generator as a feedback. The cooling fan on the motor is running 24hours even the conveyor motor are not running.

I ask one of the commissioning guy why we need to run the cooling fan motor all the time. He told me that even the 20HP dc motor are not running, the field supply is always active. Is this right? If yes then what was the technical reason behind why field supply for the dc motor always on? Can we off this field supply if the motor is at stanby mode? Please help me.

Thanks you in advance.