OT, Saftronics VFD's

Greg Dake

Greetings,

This is a little off topic, but I thought I'd start here since most of us also work with VFD's.

I'm looking for communication software and interface cables for a couple older model Saftronics VFD's. I'm looking for the software and cable for the PC7 series drive. I don't have a part number and a web search didn't turn up very much. I'm also looking for the communication cable for the GP5 saftronics drives (I have the software for this series). Again, I don't have the part number for this either.

I assumed there would have to be a lot of 3rd party resellers on the web with some of this older stuff sitting on their shelves, but I'm not having much luck.

I tried PLCcenter.com and a few others....Does anyone have any suggestions on a place that would sell older VFD components on the web?

Even if you know the part numbers for what I stated above, it may help my searching.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Greg

Greg, I am not very familiar with the specific Saftronics drives you mention but I can tell you that generally, Saftronics relabelled drives from other manufacturers.

If you could identify the original manufacturer of the units you have, you might be able to widen your search to include the name of the drive source, rather than just Saftronics.

Good luck.

DickDV,

Yes, they are re-branded Yaskawa and Fincor drives....I have been in contact with both of those companies. They told me that Saftronics changed the cable and software to be specific to them...What a bummer.

Greg

Saftronics and Fincor are both owned by Emerson now. I don't think they will be much help as the Saftronics division is soft starters and Fincor is low horsepower dc drives and ski lift drives.

The Yaskawa website has pdf's of all their manuals. I think the Saftronics GP5 is probably the Yaskawa G 315, or G5, sometimes found as the Magnetek GPD 315. Not sure about the PC 7.

I just went through the fp5/gp5 instruction manual from cover to cover and they didn't say anything about communication other than the fact that there is a serial port. Sorry, I tried.

As far as I know, saftronics products are no longer available since last year. They were bought out by emerson. Unless somebody has stock for the software & cable you are out of luck. I've bought a control board for an older drive from these guys. Give them a call & see.

http://www.clrwtr.com/Saftronics-VFD-Solid-State-Starters.htm

I think in the old days saftronics drives were built by ge / fuji electric. You may be able to find something compatible in ge or fuji product line.

http://www.ctiautomation.net/FUJI-Inverters.htm
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Dispatcher?REQUEST=PRODUCTS&famid=13