Flex IO 1794-IE12

Wilphilco

I am using the 1794-IE12/A flex i/o module on one of our projects.
We use the 4-20mA current configuration and I noticed that when we break the current loop to measure the current with a milli-amp meter and close the loop again,the channel does not respond or read anymore. The only way to recover the module is to cycle power to the whole module. Has this happened to anyone out there or am I doing something wrong. Or do I need to do some fancy software code to prevent this. Out of all the 20 modules I tested all reacted the same. I doubt that its a faulty unit.

We encountered the same issue on a recent install (few months ago). Talking to AB, they said this is the intended design. If the module detects an open wire on one of the channels, that channel is "shutdown". The only way we knew to get it back was to cycle power. All 1794-IE12s have since been replaced with IE8s and we will no longer use them.

This isn't related to the IO, but have you considered using something like the Fluke 771 Milliamp Process Clamp Meter? We have moved to using these specifically so we don't have to break the loop to measure current.