PAC System to replace CompactLogix

jdelgado89

Hi,

I am looking for a PAC system to replace the compactLogix but I have not been able to find one. The key point for is the functionality of the user defined tags (UDT) in compactLogix. We are an OEM so we are looking for PAC that still give use the flexibility of the compactlogix but at a lower price.

The GE RX3i looks good but it a unit to compete with the controlLogix so it is at a higher price.

Do you guys have any recomendation?

Thanks

jdelgado

IMHO, you're wasting your time. The Compactlogix is reasonably priced for what it does, especially if you get on AB's OEM pricing - something to take up with your supplier. If you already have the engineering done for the compact logix and you have already sold systems with the clx, then are you prepared to provide product support for two different products along with the associated costs? Any new system will involve new engineering costs. And what of the customer that bought a machine last year, and who buys antoher next year - are you ready to saddle that customer with the need to stock incompatible spares and have to have two different software packages, or are you ready to do that for the customer? This is a crucial business decision which should not be driven by cost alone.

BTW, depending on what your IO count is, if the systems are small, there is a new version of the compactlogix due out soon that may be even better for you.

However, if you are prepared to take on the hidden costs and headaches then take a look at Beckhoff.

Last edited:
Thanks for your info. We are in the process of re-evaluating our control system that is why we are looking at options. The new CompactLogix will not work with out application because of the limitations on the number of task and programs.

Thanks

Alaric said:
IMHO, you're wasting your time. The Compactlogix is reasonably priced for what it does, especially if you get on AB's OEM pricing - something to take up with your supplier. If you already have the engineering done for the compact logix and you have already sold systems with the clx, then are you prepared to provide product support for two different products along with the associated costs? Any new system will involve new engineering costs. And what of the customer that bought a machine last year, and who buys antoher next year - are you ready to saddle that customer with the need to stock incompatible spares and have to have two different software packages, or are you ready to do that for the customer? This is a crucial business decision which should not be driven by cost alone.

BTW, depending on what your IO count is, if the systems are small, there is a new version of the compactlogix due out soon that may be even better for you.

However, if you are prepared to take on the hidden costs and headaches then take a look at Beckhoff.

I have worked quite a bit with the RX3i, and the flaky software Proficy. In my opinion, the PAC system is still pretty new and under development. I would give it a while longer before considering it, especially if your applications are somewhat advanced and demanding.

A Moeller XC200 will set you back about $1500 AUD. Software is IEC/CoDeSys/MXPro/Whatever, so it's free..... I'm not entirely sure you'd call it a PAC though.

Thanks the Moeller reads interesting. I need to check for support in our area and how long they have had that product out.

Jeev said:
A Moeller XC200 will set you back about $1500 AUD. Software is IEC/CoDeSys/MXPro/Whatever, so it's free..... I'm not entirely sure you'd call it a PAC though.