Using the flash utility for Compactlogix

smiller

I started a flash on a Compactlogix L35E yesterday and it still hasn't finished. I am using DF1 with Flash 6.00.02 and flashing to V15. The L35E is just out of the box. I have used DF1 to flash before and I know that it is slow but if memory serves me it took an hour or so. This one has been going almost 24 hours and still isn't close to being done. It is still progressing but painfully slow and since it is started I can't stop for fear of corrupting the L35E. Has anyone else had this happen? If it is able to complete successfully it will take about two full days! I hope that I don't need my laptop for an emergency before then.

Steve

Smiller:

The other day i was updating firmware for Compactlogix 1769-L32E right out of the box, i was using serial interface ( DF1 ). for some reason my serial connection was disconnected, initially i thougth that my cpu was dead and I have to send it back to rockwell, to my surprise i turn if off and on and my CPU was still alive and kicking. Since then everytime i upgrade my firmware i uses the screws on both side of my serial cable.
I have never use CF to upgrade but it should be faster than serial.

If you read the release notes, there are special instructions and warnings on how to do this. You use the serial link to set the IP address and then you can use the ethernet link to upgrade the firmware. It is much faster.

I agree ethernet is the way to go when flashing a compactlogix with enet port. What I have done is connect the l32e to a switch and attach my laptop to that switch and use the bootp/dhcp server to set the enet address in the controller than flash through enet port. This takes me only about 5 minutes or so. If the ethernet is the only thing connected to the switch you don't have to worry about sorting through mac addresses to find the one you want to set the ip address of. Much faster just a few extra tools to use. I used to do it over serial until I needed a controller to replace one that was fried and had to loose an hour of production because i didn't have one flashed.

smiller said:
I started a flash on a Compactlogix L35E yesterday and it still hasn't finished. I am using DF1 with Flash 6.00.02 and flashing to V15. The L35E is just out of the box. I have used DF1 to flash before and I know that it is slow but if memory serves me it took an hour or so. This one has been going almost 24 hours and still isn't close to being done. It is still progressing but painfully slow and since it is started I can't stop for fear of corrupting the L35E. Has anyone else had this happen? If it is able to complete successfully it will take about two full days! I hope that I don't need my laptop for an emergency before then.

Steve

Unless your baud rate is at 300 BPS I would assume something must be wrong.