CPU Redundancy

sapoleon

Hi all again.
We are planning a project where they ask for a redundancy option. That is to say, they want it now, and maybe in the future to use redundancy.

We are working in the last time with Siemens PLCs, and wanted to go in that direction now, but we don't seem to find a simple solution to the CPU redundancy.
All we see, can't be done with Profinet, must use Profibus DP, and a lot of special modules in the RIO and the PLCs to make SWredundancy, or go to S7-400 to use HW redunancy.
Does someone know if there is a nice way to make a CPU redunancy in Siemens?

Can someone give me some insight maybe simplier with other brands?

Thanks to all

sapoleon,
redundancy can be achieved with Siemens PLCs very easy and reliably. I suggest you to use S7-400 PLCs (CPUs S7-414H) in hot stand-by configuration (hardware redundacy) better than software, but that really depends on your needs and requirements you have.
Software redundant solution can also work good but switchover time in case of software redundncy (warm stand-by system) can be few seconds, whereas in hot stand-by sytsem it is guaranteed to last less than 100ms and to be bumpless since same program is running on bothy systems simultaneously.
You can use optical profibus network if you want. We have one system with S7-414H (High availability) CPUs with redundant CPs (redundant connections) and it works quite well.
There are Siemens gurus here that can give you more complete information, but I think you cannot make mistake using S7-414H redundant solution.

thanks for the answer,
The main problem we have with Siemens (we already discussed our possibilities with their representatives) is that the RIO must be prepared to run with the redundant system (HW or SW) and that for that we must use Profibus, and we wanted to implement the system in an Ethernet environment. Siemens does not have an option to make redundancy with the RIO with Profinet.