Interface (network) card WinCC-PC

Hi there,

I'm planning to connect a WinCC HMI to a S7-300 PLC with a CP 343-01 (ethernet). What kind of network card do I need in my PC?

Thanks in advance

Fritz

I do believe that you need a Siemens comms PC card, for industrial ethernet using a PCI slot you will need a CP1613 or if you are using a laptop with a PCMCIA slot then the number is CP1513. Siemens CP cards are numbered up as follows:

1st digit:- 1 = Industrial ethernet (ISO and TCP/IP)
5 = Profibus
2 = ASi bus

2nd digit:- 4 - ISA slot
5 - PCMCIA slot
6 - PCI slot

3rd and 4th digit:- 11 = dumb card requires Softnet
12, 13 and 14 = Intelligent cards.

Hope this is of assistance to you

Paul

Hello Fritz;
You can use a CP1613 as PLucas suggests, in which case you will need a S7-1613 software license; you can also choose a standard (3COM type) network card, which will require a Softnet-S7 license. Both these licenses allow S7 exchanges between the network card and the S7 partner (in this case WinCC). The Softnet solution is cheaper, but will interrupt the PC processor every time there is an exchange over the network: it can cause a slowdown of the processor. Remember WinCC is very hardware intensive; a slowdown will soon become evident. If you can live with this aspect, choose the Softnet solutioon. If the spplication is time-critical, go for the Hardnet card (CP1613).
Contact your local Siemens rep. to get the part numbers and cost of the CP1613 and the required licenses.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

dchartier said:
you can also choose a standard (3COM type) network card,

I wasn't sure if that was the case Daniel, which is why I did not mention it in my reply to Fritz, Thanks for putting me straight on that.

Paul