New To The World Of S7

titoyabril

We recently had a new S7-400 CPU installed at our facility. I have worked with AB, Mitsubishi, ABB, and Automation Direct; but never with Siemens. Can someone please help me get started?
The vendor has already setup an ethernet module to pull the program. So, since the communication section has already been setup at the PLC level by the vendor, i just need to know what kind of software i need to hook up.
Of course, i need to buy the step 7 programming software, but i need to know is there is also a Siemens equivalent to rslinx that i also need to purchase.

titoyabril said:
We recently had a new S7-400 CPU installed at our facility. I have worked with AB, Mitsubishi, ABB, and Automation Direct; but never with Siemens. Can someone please help me get started?
The vendor has already setup an ethernet module to pull the program. So, since the communication section has already been setup at the PLC level by the vendor, i just need to know what kind of software i need to hook up.
Of course, i need to buy the step 7 programming software, but i need to know is there is also a Siemens equivalent to rslinx that i also need to purchase.
See the CP5512 below, comms are setup via Step7
Sjort answer:
Need step 7 Pro (it comes with the simulator and other neat things)
Do not buy the Lite version of it.
Get the PCMCIA comms card it is a CP5512 (You may find cheapest a USB serial cable but go for the PCMCIA)
Make yourself a long profibus cable, but the 2 profi connectors and the purple cable from a local vendor, make it yourself.
Since you already have ethernet you may not need it but it's good to have one around.
You can use on the MPI or Profibus port.
You can do all 300/400 series with the above software and hardware.
If the machine was shipped with Integrated Safety (F PLC type) you will also need to order a separate package Safety Integrated (which integrates and works as one package when installed as part of the Step 7 software).
Hope this helps.
Others may chime in (JesperMP he does a lot of Siemens stuff or LDAR or PeterW and more).

Last edited:
Well, the isue, really, is that we want to be able to access it from ethernet, and not by profibus, because they have a nice setup already with a cat5 cable going to a programming table and all that. so what can i do to get setup on the ethernet side?

You won't need the PCMCIA card or profibus cable. Once you install S7, all you need to do is open the project and select the ethernet interface. You won't need additional software. During the last ten years, the only time I have used ProfiBus or MPI to go online is at one specific customer who will not allow me to go online via ethernet.

You may or may not need to set a static IP address. And, I assume you will get the source code and project from the vendor.

S7Guy said:
You won't need the PCMCIA card or profibus cable. Once you install S7, all you need to do is open the project and select the ethernet interface. You won't need additional software. During the last ten years, the only time I have used ProfiBus or MPI to go online is at one specific customer who will not allow me to go online via ethernet.

You may or may not need to set a static IP address. And, I assume you will get the source code and project from the vendor.
I totally missed the ethernet part.
S7guy is right.
All the RSLinx similar setup is done via the step7 (set PG/PC interface part is where you setup your comms)no additional packages needed.

You don't need the 'Pro' version, just plain Step 7, and not the lite.

Then enlist your local distributer to show how to change a single variable in a DB, online, and then save it to disk, as there are 10+ ways to do it wrong and totally mess up and only one way to do it right (that I know of). Hint: Use the VAT (Variable Table). Then sign up for a couple of days course to learn how to actually change a rung, correctly. It's not as easy or intuative as any other PLC you have worked with, by a long shot.