rsLogx5000 user interface

bulletin blues

Lifetime Supporting Member
I really like the RS5000 software, but I got a couple of gripes with the user interface.

I wish the tag explorer had an "always on top" option.

I wish there was the ability to "close all but this tab" option for when I end up with 15 routines open in the ladder window.

Bookmarks are nice (I think they are included in version 16 and above only) but I wish I could save them, like trends.

When I'm in the tag explorer and I right click a tag and select "find all" the software grinds through all the tags and then says "found 1 tag," well, yea, thats the tag I JUST RIGHT CLICKED ON. I know, I know, use the cross reference option, but every 3 months or so I accidently click the find all. Is that option really necessary in that window. Maybe some people use it all the time. I'm not a POWER USER, but will it ever find more than one of the same tag (like if the tag is only local to the routine)? I generally keep the stuff in the controller scope. Maybe that's why this find all option confuses me?

Speaking of find all, I wish there was an option (in the options settings) to allow the "search" toolbar to search the entire program for a tag, rather than just the open routine. Kind of like the cross reference but without having to cross reference the tag. Like the LOGIX 5/500, ugh, I went there...

How about a "hide" option for the docked (on the side) toolbars like adobe or visual studio maybe? How about that "hide" option automatically moves the ladder window over to fill the screen?

I really dig this software, and these are minor issues, but I guess that is what minor revisions are for, right?

So go ahead and bash me, agree with me, advise me, or ignore me.

SAFETY PAYS!

How about a "hide" option for the docked (on the side) toolbars like adobe or visual studio maybe? How about that "hide" option automatically moves the ladder window over to fill the screen?

This button is at the top of the interface.
Regards Alan

Alan Case said:

This button is at the top of the interface.
Regards Alan

Just for clarification, it's the Tree icon on the top toolbar. Toggling it off hides the folder list.

bulletin blues said:
I really like the RS5000 software, but I got a couple of gripes with the user interface.

Bookmarks are nice (I think they are included in version 16 and above only) but I wish I could save them, like trends.

SAFETY PAYS!

Bookmarks have been there forever.

bulletin blues said:
I wish there was the ability to "close all but this tab" option for when I end up with 15 routines open in the ladder window.

There isn't a "close all but this one", but you can close multiple tabs. Click select the first tab you want to close. Hold down the control key and click select all the other tabs you want to close. The right click and select close.

My biggest gripe, and its one that is really starting to irritate me is the new reference manuals screen in V16+. In previous versions if you opened a reference manual L5K launched Adobe reader in a seperate window and opened the manual. I could alt-tab betwen the two, and I could drag the manual window over to the other monitor (I run my laptop and desktop monitor in dual monitor mode) so I could see both the reference manual and the program. But beginning in V16 the manuals open in a frame in L5K, so not only can I not look at it and the program at the same time, in the frame its too small to read easily, especially since these eyes are getting older, and if I zoom then I have to scroll from side to side. Rockwell really screwed up big time on that one and whoever came up with it needs a good ear boxing.

Prior to v16 the bookmarks toolbar was called "Language Editor Editing". Why? I have no idea!

I second the issue with the manuals Alaric mentioned. I use these manuals all the time and it is now a big P.I.T.A.

OG

I agree that saved bookmarks would be nice. I really miss the page titles / advance diagnostics that rslogix500 and 5 have.

Make the "Find All" and "Goto Cross reference" of a tag consistent with RSlogix 500 and Rslogix 5. In Rslogix5000 "Goto Cross Reference" gives the same results as "Find All" in 500/5

Cross Reference is definitely the best tool to use for searching tag usage. Sorting using the "destructive" column is very helpful. The Find All is not efficient when searching the entirety of a large program. For a PLC5/SLC, the opposite is true. For RS5K, I never use Find All. It is useless.

I do frequently use the Find command when searching for a tag that I'm not sure what the exact name is. I can search for something very general such as "pump" and limit the search to the current routine or open it up to the entire program or all routines. The Find will search within tag descriptions, rung descriptions and even instructions. If I want to tune a PID loop and I know there are only a few in a routine, I can search current routine for "PID" and go right to it.

My complaint about cross reference is that I cannot copy/paste using Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v into the cross reference field.