Iec 61131-3

Jon R

I have just completed a Beckhoff training course for their TwinCat software.

Whilst the course covered things to do with the enviroment, it doesn't cover the languages in massive detail. Although my background is mainly ladder or list based, I can get ST, but would like some reference material. Can anyone recommend any books that cover the languages within the 61131-3 standard?

Thanks,

Jon.

When I had my Beckhoff training I have got the same book from training center. Probably Jon has this book. Also, 61131-3 standard is very close to Pascal. Try to find sample or real code from twincat, it will help you to understand code better.

Hello Jon,

Don't want to sound too pedantic here, but how about getting hold of a copy of the IEC 61131-3 specification from the IEC itself?
(Think it's around the £60 marrk though!).
It's not a particularly riveting read I'll grant you, but if it ain't in there, it ain't gonna appear anywhere else!

Another book I found pretty useful (and it is fairly readable!)is the snappily titled "Programming Industrial Control Systems using IEC 61131-3" by R.W.Lewis. Published by the IEE, ISBN 0 85296 827 2.
This covers the basic concepts behind the specs as well as giving a good overview of each of the 4 programming languages as well as SFC (there I go, being pedantic again!!!).
Hope this helps.

Iec 61131 Group

Paulus said:
Hello Jon,

Don't want to sound too pedantic here, but how about getting hold of a copy of the IEC 61131-3 specification from the IEC itself?
(Think it's around the £60 marrk though!).
It's not a particularly riveting read I'll grant you, but if it ain't in there, it ain't gonna appear anywhere else!

I agree with this. I just have a copy of IEC 61131-3 it helps me a lot.

For your info this is all the list of standards in IEC 61131 group

Last edited:
IEC 61131 groups

Maj. Toxido said:
For your info this is all the list of standards in IEC 61131 group

Sorry for the late post of group of IEC -61131. Company meeting calls

IEC 61131-1 Programmable Controllers - Part 1: General Information - Second Edition
IEC 61131-2 Programmable controllers – Part 2: Equipment requirements and tests - Edition 3.0
IEC 61131-3 Programmable Controllers - Part 3: Programming Languages - Second Edition
IEC TR 61131-4 Programmable Controllers - Part 4: User Guidelines First Edition –Second Edition
IEC 61131-5 Programmable Controllers - Part 5: Communications - First Edition
IEC 61131-7 Programmable Controllers - Part 7: Fuzzy Control Programming – First
IEC TR 61131-8 Programmable Controllers - Part 8: Guidelines for the Application and Implementation of Programming Languages - Second Edition

Hope this help

Regards

Sherwin

Last edited: