RS232 Gurus--Need to interface to a Device from CLX L-61

Hi Guys,

I need to interface to a Current Injection kit via RS232. I have a Control Logix L61 rack with a 2 spare slots should additional hardware be necessary.

Would you guys mind taking a quick look at this short manual (In German to page 8, English from page 9) to see if this is possible with my onboard RS232 port of controller?

Is it as simple as sending ACSII commands to the device or am I overlooking?

Yes, should be 'That Simple'. The biggest problem is normally parsing received data, but it looks like there is a nice defined reply message, so parsing received data is just string manipulation (Substring commands) and conversion's to numbers (if you need).

No, you shouldn't need any other modules; if you don't use the serial port for programming, just use the processor serial port.

Hi RDCast,

Thanks for taking the time to look at the manual. Looks like i need to interface with another serial device so i think I'll purchase a Prosoft ASCII module.

Hopefully it does the same job!

Thanks for the advice guys.

WHat are the cost of these gateways? How long delivery time to Ireland? If I buy a Prosoft ASCII module it will cost €1800 with 4-7 days delivery. If its anything like any of their other modules I should be up and running in a couple of hours.

Hello,
Our units list at $625.00 US, plus shipping. We have stock and could ship
tomorrow. Should take the same time or sooner to get to you. Setup should take less than a half hour at most for new users.

Another viable option

Another viable option is the DeviceMaster UP product that our company makes.

I'd be happy to send you an evaluation unit free of charge if you're interested in testing it.

Contact me directly for additional details.

jason.reiling@c o m t r o l.com

Rick-RTA said:
Hello,
Our units list at $625.00 US, plus shipping. We have stock and could ship
tomorrow. Should take the same time or sooner to get to you. Setup should take less than a half hour at most for new users.
I have to admit, looks prety impressive.
I hope I get to play with one soon.