What intermedieate hardware is required

Siemener

An upcoming project involves a LINEAR GAGE (Mitutoyo LGF-150L), the leaflet say its input/output signal level is
ØA,ØA bar,ØB & ØB bar,(TTL Line Driver SN75158 or equivalent)

output Method 90° phase differential square wave (compatible with RS-422A)

Problem is the hardware has been provided by the customer (from thier stocks) since the have these on other similar machines already working.

The PLC they are interested in is MITSUBISH Q Series.
They insist that Mitsubishi can be directly hooked up with this type of Linear Gage.

Can someone please help me?

some clarifications

Thats what I thought at first, what got me confused is its Supply (power voltage) 5V (4.8V to 5.2V), ripple voltage 200mVp-p or less.

so far I've never used 5V encoders, I have used a lot of 24Volters!
(this could be because I mostly use SIEMENS using a 24VDC, but this user insists for a MITSUBISHI Q series PLC, if it uses 5Volts encoder)

secondly, the text on the leaflet "TTL Line driver SN75158" got me confused, as I heared earlier, TTL is something different

Hope someone can clarify things here.

Thanks anyway

I suspect the latter...
OkiePC I agree.

These types of gaging probes with quaditure outputs come in two formats,
TTL Line driver or TTL Open collector(pullup resistor needed for PLC input).
Most linear positioning devices run on 5Vdc.
for PLC applications single ended outputs work fine(A,B and Z is reference mark )
To get the full resolution of the device you have to count both the leading and trailing edges of the A,B phases.

What intermedieate hardware is required
If the PLC does not have a 5Vdc source then a 5Vdc power supply is needed.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/power-supply-switching-multi-dual1.shtml

Tommy

Last edited:
DRS said:
If the PLC does not have a 5Vdc source then a 5Vdc power supply is needed.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/power-supply-switching-multi-dual1.shtml

Tommy

I would like to clarify something, the missing 5VDC supply is not the issue, the PLC I have now (SIEMENS) uses a 24VDC (sink/source), the encoder I have to use is 5VDC operative, definately I cannot plug it in directly,

(I can switch to Mitsubishi, which has a 5VDC HSC, but I'm not comfortable with it)

I want to know, if there is a device (tested & approved) that can be used to convert the 5VDC encoder signal to 24vdc signal?
I've seen some equipment being used, the integrator however designed a card himself for this, just curios...

Are you sure there is not a HSC for your PLC that can work with 5vdc?

It is quite a common voltage for encoder signals.

I have zero Siemens experience, but this forum hosts a large number of experts with Siemens PLCs.

EDIT:
Siemens_5VDC_Options.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion,
I forgot to mention I was refering to Siemens S7-2xx series, which uses 24VDC,

However I am now thinking of using a S7-3xx,
1st time for a actual application, (i've had training on it)

atleast its going to be better than using a MITSUBISHI

Thanks for your help

I would like to clarify something, the missing 5VDC supply is not the issue, the PLC I have now (SIEMENS) uses a 24VDC (sink/source)

The other option is use a linear probe with TTL Open Collector output which could be used with 24Vdc PLC I/O.

I know Sony makes them. If the customer is set on a brand name and that brand does not offer a TTL Open Collector output format then your only option is to make your own Open colletor output, lucky for you its only a few resistors and a simple NPN transistor.

Tommy

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification,

Can someone point me to a link to design such a PCB, I've very little experience when it comes to component level stuff!!

Regards,

I hope the stuff is comfortable with High resolutions

http://www.beiied.com/electronics.html

The device list in link above has a max response speed of 1MHz , The probe your using has a max output speed of 4MHz at .5um, You need to know what the max response speed of the PLC I/O is to know how fast you can move the probe before you start losing counts.

PS: Thanks for the link bernie, I think I'll get one of them Encoder to USB units to play with.

Tommy

DRS said:
http://www.beiied.com/electronics.html

The device list in link above has a max response speed of 1MHz , The probe your using has a max output speed of 4MHz at .5um, You need to know what the max response speed of the PLC I/O is to know how fast you can move the probe before you start losing counts.

PS: Thanks for the link bernie, I think I'll get one of them Encoder to USB units to play with.

Tommy

Me too. I would have never have even dreamt of such a thing.