sst profibus eds file

matt_o

Hoping someone knows how to obtain an eds file required for the configuration of an SST-PFB-CLX profibus scanner module in a controllogix plc

You only need a GSD file if you're making the PFB-CLX into a Profibus DP slave to some other DP Master. Then you can import the GSD into a tool like COM Profibus and use it to tell the Master how to parameterise the PFB-CLX as a slave.

Otherwise, you just need SST's configuration software, free with purchase of the module.

I used one of these to scan a slave CTI module in a TI-505 rack a few weeks ago, also to scan TI-505 "Profibus RBC's" to control racks of I/O that formerly belonged to a TI-545 PLC. They're pretty clever once you get them going, but if you're not accustomed to Profibus they can be a little dense.

Just to clarify my query, we are trying to communicate to the SST-PFB-CLX over ControlNet and need a EDS file to configure it using "RSNetworks for ControlNet". I have been unable to download it from http//www.controlnet.org because the link to the eds page is broken. Do you have any suggestions?
(Daniel, the sst site does not provide the eds file I need)

Thanks a lot,
matt

Last edited:
Huh. I've never seen somebody put one in a remote chassis before. Does SST say you can do that ? The I/O connection to the CPU is relatively colossal and I think it would hog quite a lot of ControlNet bandwidth.

What do you expect RSNetworx for ControlNet to do with it ? I mean, an EDS will allow you to have a module icon for it, but not a whole lot else. I thought the 1756-CNB in the chassis provided proxy services for unidentified backplane modules.

I'm asking these questions also because I don't know where to get an EDS for this device. I have a PFB-CLX in my office but I dunno what happens when you browse it in a remote backplane.

Thanks for your thoughts Ken... It sounds like we've been given a near impossible task. We're a couple of 4th year Elec Eng students that have been given this gear to get going for a project. Who ever purchased this gear has put no thought into it.
Back to the drawing board!
Thanks again,
matt

SST-PFB-CLX EDS File

You don't need the EDS file. As Ken already mentioned the ControlNet RSNetworx configuration will post this device with a yellow question mark. It would be nice if a an icon showed up for the devices. I have two of these devices in my Local ControlLogix chassis. I have been having trouble with the 17-slot chassis picking up the 2nd module (different problem!). I don't think that Woodhead cares too much about providing a data sheet (EDS) for this module. However, don't give up on it. It is a viable hardware bridge between PLC's that do not normally communicate well with one another. We are using it to have CLX PLC's communicate with TI/Siemens IO.