RSView SE & ME (Now FactoryTalk) Versions Compatability

aiki202

I am pretty sure this is not possible, but I figured I better ask to be positive. Can I install FactoryTalk ME 5.0 (CPR9) development and RSView SE 4.0 (CPR7) development on the same PC? ...please stop laughing so loud.:ROFLMAO:

I have upgraded to FactoryTalk ME 5.0 for out PV+ HMI's, but we still have an RSView SE 4.0 station in service as well. Besides upgrading, I guess two different PC's would be the easiest way to support both platforms? I do not have much experience with the SE version.

I can't speak to the compatibility of those packages. However, if not, there's always virtualization.

Diffrent versions of Factory Talk

The short answer is NO. Since Factory Talk (FT) is used on both apps and you can only have one version of FT you do not want to run two qpps with different CPRs.

I have spoken with Rockwell Tech Support in the past and they have caution me in the strongest terms never to have a different CPR of FT and FT based apps running on the same machine. It can blow up all kind of stuff. I have had enough grief with FT that I don't go looking for it.

Have a good day. Hope this helps.

P.S. CPR = Cumulative Patch Release (Rockwell terminology)

We have to support many versions of RSView/FactoryTalk as well as other software such as multiple Intouch versions. The only way to do this without multiple computers is using Virtual Machines as suggested by surferb. I use VMWare as it has more features such as USB support but some of this can also be done with Microsoft Virtual Machine which is a free download from MS.

VMWare kicks butt! I second that.

John M said:
use VMWare as it has more features such as USB support but some of this can also be done with Microsoft Virtual Machine which is a free download from MS.

LJBMatt said:
Don't forget though that in Studio you can save your projects as older revisions.

Ah yes, I did forget about this feature, thanks. So the SE platform works the same, as far as compiling to an older version, as ME?

Keystone said:
P.S. CPR = Cumulative Patch Release (Rockwell terminology)

I thought is was "Coordinated Product Release"?

aiki202 - sorry "Coordinated Product Release" is the correct term, I got confused with another vendor that uses the same initials different meaning. Thanks for the query.

I don't believe SE has that capability - it runs a project not a compiled runtime file. You can only create an older version runtime file in ME.

No, you can't install CPR7 and CPR9 on the same PC.

If your RSView Studio v4 installation in stable, stick with it and use that development computer to maintain your RSView SE project.

PanelView Plus with 5.0 firmware can run a runtime compiled by any version of RSView Studio; 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, 5.0.

Hi can i add to this original question. I have FactoryTalk CPR7, RSLogix5000 CPR9, RSLinx Enterprise CPR7 and RSView Studio ME CPR7.
Would it be better to upgrade all to CPR9 or downgrade RSLogix to CPR7.
Also is it possible to link a Studio application to a RSlogix5000 application with a L35CR controller?