Logix5000 Crash--Need Help

Camaro09

Hello All,
I just joined your forum moments ago in desparate need of help. I am a PLC programmer working on the launch of GM's new Camaro. I am experiencing Logix5000 v.16.3 crashing consistantly, when trying to view the Properties of the Safety Modules. I am able to view any of the Safety routines, but when trying to view Properties for Version Validations, Logix crashes.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Has it ever worked for you, or did you just install it?

Any error messages, or does it just close with no warning?

dmroeder,
It has been installed on the Plants Workstations for a couple of months but I suspect it has never worked. I have no problem viewing the Safety Modules Properties from my laptop...it is just the Plants Workstations that are the issue. We have all accompanying software, RSNetWorks for DeviceNet etc. at Rockwells current Block Point Release Schedule.

There is an intermittent error box that comes up some times. I will get that info to you if you have some thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

If it were me, I would pop in the disk and go through the installation again. There is an option to "repair". I'd try that.

What operating system and service packs are we dealing with on the work stations and what is your laptop?

(440) 646-3434

I very strongly recommend that you take the direct approach and call RA Technical Support.

This Forum is great for discussion of technologies and applications or even community support when you're in a situation that isolates you from the services that your vendor provides.

You can walk through the Q&A procedure with a support engineer directly. Just pick up the phone.

Calling is great...but there's a $500 charge per call. I would suggest purchasing TechConnect through your local distributor.

You can only get charged for your phone support if you have refused to purchase Tech Connect in the past. Not just that you don't have a contract; you have to have used up your Grace Period time and specifically refused to buy a contract. And if you do end up in some kind of crunch and pay the big fee for phone support, you can apply it to a contract.

Our new member Camaro09 is in a GENERAL MOTORS facility. GM is one of Rockwell Automation's biggest customers and spends substantial money on their extensive support contracts. He should take advantage of these resources.

Hey Guys,

I want to thank all of you for your time to reply. I have already been down the Rockwell Support road. With the current Block Point Release of what we're using for this program, RSLogix, DeviceNet, and GuardLogix, Rockwell are telling me there are no known issues.

The fact that there are no problems when any of our engineering team are on their laptops (mostly XP Pro), but only on the Plants Workstations (also XP Pro), leads me to believe it is something other than a Rockwell issue. I joined your forum today because it looked like there was a ton of knowledge here from different fields. I was hoping to possibly find someone who had seen something similar.

Thanks again to those who responded. If anyone is interested I will post the solution(hopefully soon) when we get that point.

Mike

Camaro09 said:
It has been installed on the Plants Workstations for a couple of months but I suspect it has never worked. I have no problem viewing the Safety Modules Properties from my laptop...it is just the Plants Workstations that are the issue.

This is key! It WORKS on your laptop, but not on GM's workstations. So, ask yourself, or the IT group what may be different. Maybe something like .Net Framework 2.0 being completely installed?

I strongly second Ken. When you're dealing with crashes or possible software/install bugs the vendor is your best bet by far. They know their software and, at some point, become the only ones who can adequately troubleshoot these types of issues.

The forum is great, though. Particularly for: advice, techniques, design help, general troubleshooting, etc.

Camaro09 said:
Hey Guys,

I want to thank all of you for your time to reply. I have already been down the Rockwell Support road. With the current Block Point Release of what we're using for this program, RSLogix, DeviceNet, and GuardLogix, Rockwell are telling me there are no known issues.

The fact that there are no problems when any of our engineering team are on their laptops (mostly XP Pro), but only on the Plants Workstations (also XP Pro), leads me to believe it is something other than a Rockwell issue. I joined your forum today because it looked like there was a ton of knowledge here from different fields. I was hoping to possibly find someone who had seen something similar.

Thanks again to those who responded. If anyone is interested I will post the solution(hopefully soon) when we get that point.

Mike
If you are a plant wide network of sorts and IT is "ruling" that network (which I'm 100% sure they do), it may be what's causing your issues.
Any active scripts running on the work station and such, God only knows what else they do run on your box.
Sorry I couldn't help!
One last thing that comes to mind using Siemens Integrated safety, ALWAYS compile and reCOMPLIE your safety routines/code prior to any attempts to download, monitor, etc.
Haven't used the AB version of safety, not sure if it matters.
On a side note...... I know I'll be burned big time for it but what the heck....I suggest buy something that comes with a ahmmm... HEMI!!
If the launch of the new Caddy ahm,...ops.... Camaro is that bad on the production line I can't expect the outcome (new Caddy...ops.. Camaro) to be a ground ripper!
Feel free to roast me!
Mopar or no car!!

Last edited:
To ATU...Viewing RSLinx Properties is not a problem.

To Oakly and surferb... I will talk to their IT guys and see what scripts are running on their Workstations and inquire about their .Net Framework 2.0 THANKS!

To bkottaras...We have a few of the new Camaro's here...an RS and an SS running around the grounds. The SS will be pushing over 400 ponies in the production model. What's in my garage...2 Dodges...been a Mopar guy for too long.

Thanks again All, Great Forum.
Mike

Do you have any CCRW folks that have experienced the same problem? And I would put some pressure up the CCRW chain and get one of those guys to get Rockwell to support you.

Like Ken says, that's what we pay them for.

Have you tried the plant's software librarian? I know that you don't work for GM, but he/she should be a resource as well.

And FWIW, we are using V16.03 down here in Spring Hill.