zero PLC experience

lilcoolaidman

Hi everyone,

Tired of seeking employment as a Senior Graphic Designer, and now in the thinking process of switching fields. A Friend of mine working for a plastic manufacturing Molding company had asked me to learn PLC, so that he may be able to help me land a job. I have no knowledge in this field at all, although I am a very technical person and have a little understanding of relays and switches, its functions and device mechanism.

Million Dollar question. Is this a good field to get into? Is there a good demand on these profession? I am no genius and not dumb either, how long does an average person get to learn and be good with this programming?

Thanks to anyone out there kind enough to give advice or opinion, very much appreciated.

Thanks
lilcoolaidman

A PLC is only one of many tools you'll need to be familiar with if you want to get into the automation field. What do you know about hydraulics, pneumatics, AC & DC motors and drives, closed loop control systems, proximity sensors, limit switches, photoelectric sensors, solenoid valves, analog pressure sensors, flow sensors, temperature sensors, just to mention a few? If you don't know much about the field devices that will be connected to the PLC, you're not likely to create good programs.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we are all still learning. As Steve states, you deal with nearly every known device, switch, and widget out there. I think we would all say this would be a great field to get into if you like challenges. This is a very tough field to learn due to the wide array of challenges so I believe the best thing to do would be to find some form of evening class or training. I wish you could just read a couple books and have it mastered but it doesn't work that way. I am not trying to scare you, but all of us have invested an enormous amount of time in our own learning, and we still learn something new everyday. That is one reason why this forum is here.

So basically look in your area for some formal training.

Good Luck.

Controls programming using PLCs is a rewarding job. But it based on a lot of prerequisite knowledge.

Imagine a Senior Graphics Designer who has no concept of shape, proportion, composition, color etc. Imagine such a person who just wants to learn how to press the keys to make pretty designs.

We are just saying there's a lot of underlying skill and knowledge needed before writing a PLC program makes any sense.

Good luck in persuing this path. Just know it isn't an overnight thing.

Up at the top of the page is two different buttons. One is "Learn PLC's", the other is "Free Online PLC simulator". Read thru the first one , try the second one out, see if you are still interested. If so, do as your friend advised, try to learn enough to get that job. If you work hard and are willing to study on your own you can be successful in this line of work. I agree with Steve Bailey, to succeed you will have to learn much more about what applications the PLC's are used for and the devices conected to them in addition to just knowing the methods for programming. It is also a never ending learning and training process as new technology comes out. The only other thing you will need to consider is you may need to re-locate to find the better paying jobs or employers, which is the same in any field of work.

Thanks a lot for all your replies and advice. I was afraid to read what Steve had pointed out. Although, I was sort of expecting a lot more than just I/O switches and relays knowledge are needed for this profession and I thank you for that confirmation. Boardmaker, thanks for the positive response, "Challenges" just happen to be my middle name. I guess, just like any other field, Time is an essence to be good at this just like other field. And with a forum like this and generous people like you all sharing time, input and advice makes it a lot easier and quicker for starters like myself.

I will check out jrwb4gbm's advice and see if this is for me. I will keep you all informed.

Thanks a mil,
lilcoolaidman

I would suggest that you seek a job in industrial maintenance first. Look for multi-craft training and work so that you can learn everything from mechanical systems to programmable controllers.

Not saying you can't learn PLCs too, and even at the same time, but you really need to know a lot about the machines you're controlling, and nothing is a better teacher than being a maintenance guy.

Just my 2 cents.
Paul

jrwb4gbm said:
Up at the top of the page is two different buttons. One is "Learn PLC's", the other is "Free Online PLC simulator". Read thru the first one , try the second one out, see if you are still interested. If so, do as your friend advised, try to learn enough to get that job. If you work hard and are willing to study on your own you can be successful in this line of work.
REPLY I vouch for the two buttons on top of the page. If you can get thru this and still like it buy the associated book. Good text and worth the money.

I agree with Steve Bailey, to succeed you will have to learn much more about what applications the PLC's are used for and the devices conected to them in addition to just knowing the methods for programming. It is also a never ending learning and training process as new technology comes out. The only other thing you will need to consider is you may need to re-locate to find the better paying jobs or employers, which is the same in any field of work.
REPLY From my experience in automation the time spent programming the PLC is a drop in the bucket compared to the time spent troubleshooting the input sensors and the outputs (motors relays, solenoids, etc). Add to that if you are doing anything in motion you have to have a good grasp of mechanics (mechanical drives, fluid or pneumatic system components). The PLC is the most reliable piece of equipment I have seen - not so for the motors, relays, solenoids, mechanical drives, fluid system components. Just a loose wire can sometimes take hours to find - mostly spent untangling messes of spagetti.

Dan Bentler

In my experience programming the PLC isnt the hard bit, if you follow the manual you can get there in most cases, and if you get stuck there there are other sources of help. Its getting your head round the process, and working out how the process interfaces to the PLC that is usually the tricky bit.

To repeat what others have said:

Get yourself upto speed on all aspects of control systems, and make sure you have electrical knowledge.

Get an understanding of what makes things move, pnuematics, hydraulics, and motors gearboxes etc.

Have a look at other peoples efforts and try and think how you could have done it different, there are usually several different ways of approaching a project and no one way is always the 'right' way.

And finally: Start with something simple.

Mike Dyble said:
In my experience programming the PLC isnt the hard bit, if you follow the manual you can get there in most cases, and if you get stuck there there are other sources of help. Its getting your head round the process, and working out how the process interfaces to the PLC that is usually the tricky bit.

To repeat what others have said:

Get yourself upto speed on all aspects of control systems, and make sure you have electrical knowledge.

Get an understanding of what makes things move, pnuematics, hydraulics, and motors gearboxes etc.

Have a look at other peoples efforts and try and think how you could have done it different, there are usually several different ways of approaching a project and no one way is always the 'right' way.

And finally: Start with something simple.
Thanks Mike Dyble great advice, I have some understanding in electrical when I was working as a designer/CADperson for an electrical engineering company many years ago. It was however, mostly power and lighting for high end Commercial and Industrial buildings. I hope to be able to adapt that experience into learning PLC. I don't know much bout pneumatics, hydraulics and other things that make move, I am just hoping my many years and various technical experience could be of use for this new venture.

I will try your advice Mike and go from there and see if this is the thing for me. I just wanted to make sure where to start without investing a lot of money for on-line course or for seminars and stuff.

I will also check out jrwb4gbm advice which I believe will not cost me a dime.

Thank you All for info and great advice, very much appreciated.

lilcoolaidman