HMI recommendations for a DH+ to Controllogix upgrade??

JPCompounds

We are currently working with our mixer software provider to upgrade our system from DH+ to ethernet.

Our first choice is to upgrade to a controllogix PLC and use our existing racks of I/O using Dh+/Rio scanner modules in the ControlLogix Rack and RIO adapters in the existing racks.

The problem we have is we currently use 2 older HMI's by Kep. Kep rep I spoke with a few weeks ago claims that they do not have a touch screen that is compatible with Control Logix.

Does anyone see a problem with this solution? Any HMI recommendations?

We do have 2 DH+ Panelviews that we intend to keep.

Thanks,

J

I like the Redlion G3's awsome product with fantastic support.

The G3 supports Native Tag Addressing on the Controllogix platform as well, use the search here or at RL to see the data sheet.

The Crimson2 software is free as well (another bonus) and f/w updates are rolled into the software.

Redlions support is the best i have come across and they frequent here and over at mrplc.com to answer any queries as well.

First of all, if it is possible at all to replace your HMI, and panelviews with ControlLogix compatible via Ethernet, then you will be that much better off.

Now, about your PLC hardware ... you didn't mention what you are changing from, so I will guess PLC5. Sure RIO will work, but it isn't exactly compatible with ControlLogix. Now wait - let me say that it WORKS, but RIO is not native to ControlLogix. Is ControlNet a viable option for you - if so, then consider it over RIO.

Now, I am working on the PLC5 hardware guess, so let me lead off by saying the 1771 hardware is excellent, very robust. Let me additionally say, that RA is not making any more investment in that platform. This makes it on the Silver/obsolete/increasing price path. You will be revisiting this installation at some point wishing that you could replace the IO with a newer platform (PointIO, ControlLogix, etc).

With all this being said, design a system as if you had unlimited budget. Then work back and figure out what makes the most sense to replace first (maybe have to replace several things at a time).

You may be able ControlLogix's mapping system with the DH+ terminals. See Logic - Map PLC/SLC Messages in RSLogix 5000's menu.
Steve

Oakley said:
Now, about your PLC hardware ... you didn't mention what you are changing from, so I will guess PLC5. Sure RIO will work, but it isn't exactly compatible with ControlLogix. Now wait - let me say that it WORKS, but RIO is not native to ControlLogix. Is ControlNet a viable option for you - if so, then consider it over RIO.

(PointIO, ControlLogix, etc).

With all this being said, design a system as if you had unlimited budget. Then work back and figure out what makes the most sense to replace first (maybe have to replace several things at a time).

We currently have 2 lines running 5 PLC's, 3 are SLC 5/04 and 2 PLC 5's a 5/30 and a much older 5/15. None of them have ethernet and all currently communicate on DH+.

I am not familiar with controlnet. Is there a way to keep our current I/O and move to controlnet over RIO? The thought is our current I/O works why change out all our cards. Currently we have about 60 different I/O cards across all our PLC's with various analog input output and T/C cards. Changing everything may be a budgeting impossibility.

Thanks,

J