Database

wong

I am doing a project on a chinup trainer and I am wondering is it possible to connect a PLC to a MS Access database using a RS232 to serial cable?Because it is a database i want the number of counts from the PLC to transfer to different user according to what is keyed in a textbox.Please any help will do.Thanks.
(Using a trilogic PLC)

Hi

Maybe there is an opc server to suit your needs but it will be $$$$

Please indicate what kind of PLC you're using. No you don't need an OPC server, but think of it as your driver or API. You might find a direct driver (Archie is working on a few for "write your own HMI" projects).

Also think about what you're tackling and what your time is worth. Is it to collect data while you're sitting in front of the computer? Maybe it's a hobby project to hone your programming skills - I'm all for that. You'll appreciate a package as soon as you realize that you expect the program to: start automatically as a windows service (no user login), recover elegantly from crashes, etc. That said, you don't need as much of the fault tolerance with an RS232 connection and local Access database. Typically there are other potential problems that require data caching and reconnects with Ethernet based PLCs and remote SQL databases.

All said, if it's for a production system, I'd take the time to consider FactorySQL from Inductive Automation or OPC Datalogger from Software Toolbox and KepServerEX from Kepware before committing too much time on a custom programming project.

Further to my previous question, I meant YES you can write your own driver, not YES you must use an OPC server.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.I am using a Trilogic T100MDand this project is a school project.My supervisor told me that it is simplier to use the serial port function in vs2005 toolbox.
I just want a button(when clicked)that saves the number of chinups(in a PLC channel)to the username as in a textbox to a local database.

So,the basic operation is after the user does his chinups(the count number stored in a channel)he will open the programme I'm doing to save it.

The problem is,I don't know how to communicate with serial port(I am a self taught vb user) and there are no simple tutorials to help me.

Thanks again for the help.

Serial port connection

I'm wondering is this code sufficient enough to store number of chinups to variable 'int'?

Public Class Form1
Private WithEvents serialPort As New IO.Ports.SerialPort("COM1")

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Try
serialPort.Open()

Dim int As String = ""

'Read the corresponding value and store
int = Me.serialPort.ReadLine()
serialPort.Close()

End Try

End Sub