RS Logix5K to Controllogix- Can't connect

PLCRookie

Long story short...... Our machine PC crashed. On it was RSLogix5K and various other software. It is out for repair. I was able to load RSLogix5K and RS Linx t my PC and get them activated thru Rockwell. I am now having trouble connecting to the processor. I cannot see anyting with RSWHO. I fear that it is a firewall issue, which is going to be hard to fix. Oh, and the machine has a problem (rare occurance)..and the customer is here....Sorry for the post, but I am not familiar with the Rockwell site enough to find the answer. I have been trying all morning.

Intergator has been contacted.....no reply as yet.

Any direction appreciated.

:cry:

what method are you trying to use for RSLinx to connect to the PLC? I'm assuming ethernet. Do you have an ethernet driver setup in RSLinx to look for the specific IP address of the ENBT card?

Is your machine and the PLC on the same subnet?

How are you connected? Can you ping the PLC?

I usually use the AB-ETH (ethernet devices) driver in RSLinx. Then I add in the IP address of the ENBT card I'm trying to connect to. If you can use a crossover cable to connect directly from your laptop to the ENBT card if your internal network if blocking access.

Looks like you will have to connect directly to the ENBT card or the into the same switch the ENBT card is plugged into. If you have the EN2T card you can use a USB cable to connect to your PC. Another option would be to use a 9pin D-shell null modem cable and connect to the processor if it is available.

That was it Cornbread. Thanks to all who helped. I tried that earlier (have had to do that with other software), but I did not have the ETH driver installed at the time. I must have changed it back and forgotten.

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!

This is not a ControlLogix or RSLinx issue; it's a fundamental very very simple Ethernet issue.

The ControlLogix should have a 1756-ENBT module that scrolls the IP address of the module across the dot matrix screen. That's the IP address of your Ethernet module.

Now check the IP address of your PC. Bring up a command window and type "IPCONFIG /A".

If your PC and the 1756-ENBT are on the same subnet, try using the PING command from the command prompt to test communications between your PC and the 1756-ENBT. If it fails, go get somebody from your IT department and start troubleshooting the network.

In RSLinx, as has been mentioned, you have two driver options.

The older "Ethernet Devices" driver requires that you enter the IP address of the 1756-ENBT into a list of nodes.

The newer "EtherNet/IP" driver actually browses a local or remote subnet. Don't put the IP address of the 1756-ENBT into the "remote subnet" field. Because you're looking for simplicity, leave the driver configured to use the local subnet or use the older driver instead.

Well, its not over yet. Seems the controller firmware is V15, and my software is V16. I cannot go online unless I upgrade the controller firmware (not now!)or "install support for the controller version". Can 5K V16 be started as V15? What other options are there without risking a shutdown? I only need to go online to monitor some values. The process is running at full speed, so I don't want to risk any problems today.

The integrator must have loaed the controller with V15, as 16 was not out just yet when we got this machine.

Thanks again to all!