3-Phase motor control using a PLC

boom

explosion.jpg

A PLC interfaces to a motor just like traditional start/stop buttons do, they are often both used.

This smells like a homework question, so that's all I'm going to say for now.

You interface a 3 phase motor to A pLC by connecting the three motor leads to INPUT1 , Input2 and Input3..if the PLC inputs dont light out..swap any two wire of the motor leads..if fire works occure like fourth of July..then buy another PLC and try again.

ps: dont try that at home!

I am joking ofocurse, so please dont try above! however please explain more what you are trying to do and we will help.

best regards,k

Last edited:
briancr said:

Hahahaha... Love it.

You're not likely to find a PLC that has that kind of relay switching capability. I'll add by saying you need the PLC to actuate some other piece of hardware to start and stop the motor.

I'm feeling magnanimous, so I'll get you "started".

You would not connect a three phase motor directly to the PLC. You would use the PLC to operate the coil of a motor starter, and use the starter to operate the motor. If you are in industry and this doesn't get you going, you need more help before you let the smoke out of a system. If you are a student that should be enough to send you to your text for more info.

It is possible to run a low wattage 3 phase motor direct from a plc.
You would never do it - but its possible.
The motor would not have to take no more than 2 Amp per phase
and you need 3 isolated relay outputs (one per phase)

Program the three outputs to come on together and maybe wire the overload to an input.

Im am being frivolous (like a lot above have been) - just saying it could be done.

Goody said:
It is possible to run a low wattage 3 phase motor direct from a plc.
You would never do it - but its possible.
The motor would not have to take no more than 2 Amp per phase
and you need 3 isolated relay outputs (one per phase)

Program the three outputs to come on together and maybe wire the overload to an input.

Exactly like that. The only thing you'd have to be cautious of is welding and wearing the relay contacts out themselves. PLC relay outputs were never designed to handle inrush or stall currents and aren't build with the safety factors contactors/DOLs are.