Data logging on Panelview plus 600

Aftech

Hi Everyone.

At the end of my program I want to log the time, date and weight of the product in a history. The panelview must have a history screen where all this can be seen by the operator. The machine program will run more or less 10 times daily.

I am using a Microligix 1100 and a Panelview plus 600. Can somebody please help me ? How much data will I be able to store on the panelview ?

FWIW I would not use the Panelview Plus to store any data, but only display data from the PLC. For any type of logging I store data in the PLC or to a redundant server for large data collection and storage.

Can you give me a little more info on how to store data in the plc and then be able to view it from the panelview please ?

Whenever you need to store the data do a MOV or COP the data to a storage area in the PLC. Depending on how much data and how often you need to store and for how long will determine how much memory registers you need to reserve. Then you can use either direct addresses from the PV+ to directly read the data or use indirect addresses in the PLC to move data from the storage area to the data view area for the PV+. If you need to log large amount of data or for an extremely long time I would advise getting a storage PC to log everything. Micrologix and Panelview Plus's weren't designed for the intent of doing large datalogs.

I don't have FTView on this machine but you have to create a new datalog and specify how many logs it has to save before it deletes the oldest ones (I believe that it can hold 65.000 or something).
Then you have to tell it how often it should log, or on what event.
Then add the tags you want logged.

You have to check a box labeled "Datalog" somewhere, I don't remember where though. I think it's under project settings or startup or something.

I have had nothing but poor results using the datalogging on a PVPlus. Sometimes it works, sometimes it drops data. We even had a ticket open at one time with RA. There was/is a known issue with datalogging performance on PVPlus. This does NOT apply to RSViewSE Stand Alone or Distributed.

If I had to do it, I would create some data logging stacks in the PLC as suggested above. Then I would use the datalogging graph in the PVPlus, just don't define a datalog model. Then you could set up a pointer to select your stacks in the PLC. You can do some tricks with pen visibility or even just set up several screens that display different variables on the graph.

RSL

This is what i was trying to elude to with what RSL points out. The PVP is a display and I try to keep it at that. It's not a computer or a data storage box, just a touch display to interface to the PLC. Any critical data i need stored I would put my bets on the PVPlus failing before I would the PLC. Just my $.02.

Yes, I have had problems with datalogging in PV's too, but still use it sometimes if the data isn't critical and to save memory in the PLC.