omron manuals

irondesk40

have been using mostly allen bradley for the last couple of years but now have a project with a omron plc, and went to the omron web site, and it now appears you have to put in a request for a manual to be emailed to you.
i went to omron247, is there another site where you can download them directly from the site, like i use to do at omron?

I am looking for manual w340 so that i can try to understand the apr instruction.

thanks, both will come in handy.
been working mostly with ab slc500 and micrologics the last couple of years and now confused with some of the omron stuff.

Big open area of memory - no files and all that rubbish. You really have to be aware of what you are doing with memory areas in Omron but the fredom is really great once used to it.

Which PLC?

Most Omron comms/analogue cards allocate memory automatically to the address selected on the DIP switch. Digital cards allocate from channel 0 upwards but the starting address for a digital card can be altered to wherever you want. I am referring to the CJ and CS series of PLCs only.

CX-Programmer is by far my favourite programming software. One can configure over 200 short cut keys these days to whatever one wants - no mucking about with a flaming mouse and getting RSI.

Like any PLC, it will take time and patience, and help from here, to master a new brand of POLC - and then they change them again.

By the way, the latest Omron PLCs CJ, CS and CP have the same function set - it is now common. 64 bit REAL (IEEE 754 floating point) maths in a shoe box PLC!!!!!

By the way, there is no need to type in 'I' or 'X' for inputs and 'Q' or 'Y' for outputs - they are just numbers in the common I/O area. For example, channel 3200, bit 11 is just typed in as 320011 and the software knows what it is. No % before anything either - just a number for the common I/O area. Lovely and quick to develop a ladder.

Good luck and enjoy.

You'll like working with the Omron PLC and CX-One/CX-Programmer. Nice software. The PLCs are powerful fast little bricks. Omron's US tech support is really good, however local support may be sketchy as Omron doesn't have as broad of a network of local distributors who really know their stuff like AB does. Just enjoy the journey into Omron-ville.

However... I must respectfully 🍺 take umbrage with what Bob said,
BobB said:
...no files and all that rubbish.
Files are a usefull tool to add structure to a program and data. Unfortunately many programmers don't take advantage of structured programming. Maybe its just my background, but I came to the PLC world as a C programmer and I thought the lack of ability to structure memory was primitive. UDTs are a good step in the right direction, but thats another topic.

I thought someone would bite!

I guess it depends where you come from. I find the file structure a pain in the 'A' quite frankly. Takes too long to write a progream for me. I set up my own structure inside the large memory area and work with that. Just have to type in numbers then without '.', '%', 'W' or anything else. Good for me.

The Omron PLCs now also have an internal only area (memory bits/words - known as M in most PLCs). I do not use them because it slow me down - I have to type W before the number.

I am also thankful that Omron have changed the software for data memories. One used to have to type in DM, now it is only D and CX-Programmer interprets it correctly. All about speed. That is where I make my money.

Thanks to everyone, its just that some of the omron instrucions throw me for a loop.
for exampla
Pidat(191)
D2401
D5010
D5005
value in d5010 is equal to 08c0 hex.
I have also had quite a time trying to understand the apr instruction, hopefully one day it will just click.

very confusing, with the ab, you do not have to gp in and select certain data area and put a hex value in order know how a certain instruction should work, not saying it is better or worse, but just that it is different.
i find i am having to read over and over in the omron manual in order to try and understand some of the instructions, and how certain values of hex numbers in certain d areas are used to set up instructions or input and output cards.
hopefully, i will be able to look at it later and think, man this is easy.
just like first time i ever tried to use rslinx, i thought man this is awful, now I think it is a easy thing to do. just a matter of getting familiar and use to it.

just a matter of getting familiar and use to it.

You said much more than you realize in that statement!

One thing to keep in mind is that the processor is always working in hex. The other number representations are only there for our sake.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We will do our best to provide answers. The APR instruction can be a tough one. I know I have been working with Omron for 20 years and have yet to use it.

Thanks

you right, getting use to it is the most important.
I have used the omron myself for about 20 years, but have did any projects that required using analog inputs or outputs. our former boss had this thing that anytime we wanted to control temperature we used a omron temperature controller and just had the plc control if it was enabled and suppose to work. About 3 years ago, got a new boss and behold, everything new now had to be done with allen bradley, and have done some ab project using analog inputs and outputs to control pressure and maintain level etc., used the scp and the pid instruction with the micrologics and slc500 series.

Now we getting in quite a bit of new equipment, and havin to now take over and maintain equipment in asia and euroupe, and it is all omron with cj1m plc's, and just trying to get back to understanding them. Everything in our plants is either cqm1h or c200. We have hundreds of cqm1h, so not too familiar with the new omron plc's. And we stilol using mostly syswin since all the techs in our plants have the license and the cqm1h the plc's we have and support.
I now trying to figure out how to take a ultrasonic sensor into a omron cj1g-h plc with a cj1w-mad42 analog card that one of the analog outputs is not being used. it is in rack2, slot 5. The analog input that i will need to look at is already being used with the apr instruction, but i need to figure out how to take that input and scale it and then use it in a pid to control the level of liquid in a wastewater pit by controlling the speed of a vfd drive. Looks like i have a lot of reading to do.

Instruction reference for APR attached from Omron CJ manual.

I have some sample code which has done just what you want with a CJ1G - I will have a look & see if I can fine it.

With the CJ1, "rack and slot" mean nothing in terms of analog addressing. Analog addresses are determined by the two rotary switches, should be designated Unit Number (x1 and x10).

I believe the W345 manual will be very helpful when working with the MAD42.