Will you work for peanuts

COWBOY

I have noticed in the newspaper and the internet that companys are looking for Technicians that can repair mechanical, electrical, and do plc programming. The problem is that the hourly rate ranges from $13-$18 an hour. Where are you going to find someone that can be that versatile and work for peanuts?

I reckon that would be ME

In my old age I would like to make more but my hourly rate at this time is below $18. I am in the process of relocating and will probably have to take less than I now make to obtain a position.

Its a way to make a living, even at that rate I manage to make between 50 and 70K a year.

Re: I reckon that would be ME

rsdoran said:
Its a way to make a living, even at that rate I manage to make between 50 and 70K a year.

Bloody hell Ron! :eek: That means you work over 60 hours a week!

When do you find time for leisure?

I am with Ron on this one, I would probably work for that too, if I had no other choice, after all I have to keep a roof over my families heads and put food on the table.

It's better than relying on social security (the dole!).

Paul

I would work for peanuts. Here's why. I have taken jobs in the past where the pay was less but the opportunity to increase my knowledge and experience base was very good. Every time I get a new job, my experience builds and gets more varied. As a result, when it's time to look again, I have an increased advantage over last time. My pay rate on average has gone up satisfactorily over the years as a result of this. One step back and two steps forward.

Sometimes economy drives the market up/down. Last year I was in mid-sixty range with 40-hours and OT afterward.
This year I am stuck with a salery job in mid-fifty and avarege of 60-hours a week with carrots for lunch.

Being self-employed I can tell you one thing... peanuts are not that bad once you get your pants all wet.

I basically have 2 types of jobs.

Job # 1: It pays for the mortgage
Job # 2: It wets my pants

When I have the occasion to be working on something that does both. I feel like I am God.

Did I say good or God?

Anyway, I seldom tough godness.

The most fun time that I have is never when it pays the most.

So what do I want, fun or money. A little bit of both :)

That information amazes me. I thought pay rates would be far better than that. I won't even do control panel assembly for less than $25 an hour (Ozz). Programming rates go as high as $60-80 per hour. Design work $45-60 per hour. Working for oneself means the lean times have to be covered as well.
:confused:

Hi guys,

I you want to compare you need to compare apples with apples.

If you in Belgium earn 4000 euro a month (lets say 4000 US Dollar), then the Belgium goverment takes almost the half of it ( 48%).This
means you extualy receive an amount of 2080 euro!

If you are telling average 13-18 USdollar/hour do you then mean that this amount is free of all taxes.
I find it also strange that you have payed OT. But that depends on which level you work, we as managment have no OT.

Rudi

Oh well, wish it was tax free in USA, but it is not.
Here if you work on salery, you pay 7.5% social security, approximately 25% for income tax (depends upon the income 15-38%), and at 6% state tax (in Georgia). You and your employer shares the cost of about $700 per month for medical insurance. On the top of it you end of paying leftover (not paid by the insurance) medical bills in case if you get sick.
At the end of the month you get carrots to take home.
🍺

Re: I reckon that would be ME

rsdoran said:
In my old age I would like to make more but my hourly rate at this time is below $18. I am in the process of relocating and will probably have to take less than I now make to obtain a position.

Ron,

We are STILL looking for help; The pay is $18.64 per hr. if you want
to relocate to Cadiz, Ky. (just pass the multi-skill test)

I am paying about 9% of my salary towards social security every month.I guess by law one has to work for atleast 10 years in USA to get the benifits of Social Security.But i am on H1B Visa which is valid only for 6 years and i dont have any intentions to settle down in USA permanently so i consider those 9% as charity.
Rightnow almost 800,000 temporary foreign workers are on H1B Visa in USA most of them working in IT.For them Social Security Sucks !! There is a long time demand to exempt temporary foreign workers from Social Security but it seems Uncle Sam dont mind charities ;)

I will NOT work for peanuts!

Here, a good industrial maintenance electrician makes $28-$32 Hr Canadian, which depending on exchange rates is between $20-$25 US.

After various income and sales taxes I get to actually see about 1/2 that. In order to work for a decent wage you must be willing to NOT work for less, or work elsewhere for more. It's the people willing to work for peanuts that ruin it for everybody.

Vetteboy, dear member, what a bunch of ****.

I travel a lot and meet many skill people. The fact is, 90% of ALL the work force in North America is working in small enterprises.

The vast majority of them, altough they wish they could be payed more,are working for wage of less than $20 per hour.

Specialy in the manufacturing companies, the guys who deals with PLC can also do a little welding, mechanic, hydraulics, purchasing, plant operation and more.

Money is not all that counts. Happyness must come first. Being happy to make a lot of money is OK with me but it is not the most important thing.

Some poeple hunderstand why we allways set new goals when we have reached one. Its because "THE JOURNEY IS MORE IMPORTANT" than the ends. You will never have acheive anything in life if you seperate the ones who have and the ones who "ruin it for everybody".

Remember, the last suit you'll be wearing does not have any pockets.

Is it me or is this thread being filled by cry-babys.

hey_rajan: Charities my arse. The US do not have a dept with you. Who do you thinck payed for th road you drive on? You could always go to Kashmir to stop the terrorist yourself.

You can't always get what you want, you get what you need. - Mick Jagger

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom