Red Lion G3 -vs- C-More

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I just got my hands on a demo Redlion G3 and played around with it bit. Damn, I'm impressed. Incredibly easy to set up, really easy to import ControlLogix tags and connect to the CLX over ethernet. Feature loaded. Nice solid industrial look and feel. Single drawback: only 256 colors, not a show stopper though given all of the other features.

I've got just one (1) C-MORE kicking around here. It was easy to set up (its on a Micrologix, never tried one on a CLX over ethernet). Nice display, 65K colors. Drawback: cheap plastic appearance.

For those of you who have used both, what are your thoughts on comparrison?

Depends on the application...

We do a lot of data logging, trending, etc with the Red Lion and for lack of better words 'upper level programming', its hard to beat the communications (we have every type of PLC) and yes the import function is very nice, support is UNREAL...

I like the C-More, very easy to program, the price is also very good, but one thing that I am unsure of... I think this is the 3rd HMI line that AD has sold, are they going to keep it? how long will it be supported? I have not pushed the issue but I have a customer (my other job) that has a few of the older HMI's and they want to upgrade, the software is no longer available, so this means I have to start from scratch? even though its done. I think I may be able to asked for it and buy a copy but not sure, it will be used for an upgrade, so you would think that they would. If you just need a down and dirty interface, hands down no one can touch the C-More micro... these are very nice.

So what I have been doing is giving my customers and bosses the option and letting them choose (usually the less expensive one wins)

Alaric said:
Are you talking about the EZ-touch units? Those are still around and available, check out http://www.ezautomation.net/products/eztouch.php

Thanks!! I think that's it... I need to double check, I thought this line was sold by AD so when I did not see on the AD site, I thought it was no longer out there, I have not looked hard for everything for that job is still about 60days from now.

Was EZ Automation part of Automation Direct? I think this is where I am getting confused...

Thanks again
Mark

The C-more micro is not the EZ-touch. I used an EZ-touch once and hated it and it's software. I used to use the AB micro-300 but now I use the C-more micro touch(Automation Direct)for most all of our small systems connected to an AB 1100. I really like them for VERY basic operations and it's software.

I really like the C-More 12" color touch screen(Automation Direct)I've used them for a couple of years now and am very happy with them. You can't beat the price. I usually pair that with the micro 1100 with ethernet via the N-Tron hub. It makes it nice when you can have both connections via ethernet as you R&D.

I used the Red Lion G3 and was impressed with the product. The support was awesome as well.You had to manipulate the tags in excel to import them though and that was a pain to figure out. (still better than no import at all)The first project was NOT smooth for me.

Just did my first Siemens micro touch HMI 6" and my customer loved it. It was a real pain at first but the end result was great.

I pick C-more as first place for the money to value ratio.

Last edited:
I really don't like these X vs Y threads, I saw it the first time and ignored it but happened to glace below it and saw Alaric's name...

Both are good quality made HMIs that are very comparable in the market. I would personally vote for the Red Lion for those little things that go the extra mile. The two things I probably use the most on the Red Lion are...

It has great programming capabilities although Mike and the guys need to document them a little better. I have used them to pull data out of plain text files, csv files, and sql databases, parse the information, manipulate it and also do the reverse to send information back, all without any additional software

The port forwarding is another great feature that I don't think the C-More has though someone may correct me on that. It allows you to come in on the Ethernet port and connect to a device on the serial port. For example, if a SLC 5/03 is connected to the Red Lion's serial port, you can connect your PC to the Ethernet network that the Red Lion is connected to, then use a virtual serial port driver to connect your PC to the SLC in RsLinx using the DF1 driver. Very nice for retrofitting older non-Ethernet machines, especially with the Data Station, which is pretty much a G3 touchscreen without the screen.

Both have data logging, web servers, removable flash cards and a nice array of communications ports. I would say they are both up there around #1 or #2.

I use Red Lion G3. Especially I use the communication ability.
It is very nice to connect difference PLCs each other.
I have costumer Which bought weight system base on S7 200 from Siemens,I told him it will communicate with the line PLC which is SLC 500 5/05.
He said I must to see it before I order the system.I installed the G3 and it work immediately.He was very impresed.
The option to talk with different PLCs with different protocols make the different.
I also use the method TWControls write to communicate with remote PLCs without Ethernet port.It work good with Omron and AD but it not work with AB SLC 503.
TWControls can you please e mail me the G3 setup you use and the type of virtual port you have?
If it OK with you .I will PM my e mail.

TIA

We like them both but....

The Ethernet capabilities of the Red Lion allow it to read graphical data from our controllers from an area of memory without the need for having a tag for each point. This makes it easy to display a graph of the last move for diagnostic purposes. With the C-more one can only read on location over and over again to build a trend which isn't as fast or done at regular intervals. We also like the fact that the Red Lion has a place for compact flash which allows one to store many recipes or cam profiles.

We just had distributor training last week. We had a training session where we showed how to connect the Red Lion HMI to our product. We were able to borrow 6 HMIs from the local Red Lion distributor so we had one display for every two trainees. How is that for local support?

Should you ever use one of our products you will find both work well but the Red Lion complements our product nicely.

We have example programs here
http://www.deltamotion.com/dloads/downloads.php?category=rmc70&subcategory=Examples

Peter Nachtwey said:
We just had distributor training last week. We had a training session where we showed how to connect the Red Lion HMI to our product. We were able to borrow 6 HMIs from the local Red Lion distributor so we had one display for every two trainees. How is that for local support?
Delta is a good size company. Red Lions local distributor was wise to provide the HMIs, but would they do the same for a small company?

They sure will. I was a 4 month old company and I contacted the guys a Red Lion and they promptly sent me one. My customer was very impressed and have used numerous G3s since then.

The fact they give support directly.Not trought reps.
Make it more personaly.and create personal relationship.
It is also management policy in order to gain happy customers.
It is always wroth to be nice and not block your self.