Connecting an LCD to a PLC

Shohadawy said:
Is there any method to connect an LCD to a PLC .... if yes, please give me an image clarifying that.

lcd.jpg

lcd1.jpg

Exactly as you asked but not what you meant. Details, details.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
curlyandshemp,

"LCD" not "LED":)

I used to work at Sharp Electronics in the late '70s. LCD displays were showing up in their new line of calculators. I recall many a time trouble shooting BCD to 7 segment decoders.

curlyandshemp said:
I used to work at Sharp Electronics in the late '70s. LCD displays were showing up in their new line of calculators. I recall many a time trouble shooting BCD to 7 segment decoders.

Did a "Google" and right you are.

I have seen a 16 point output card directly driving 7-segment BCD displays several times on 70s designs accompanied by BCD thumbwheel switches too.

Yep I am sure that my previous employer is still using both and will continue to do so well into the next decade.

Each segment took four wires and common and lit up the correct segments and would show E if you sent them an illegal value, which we used in the leftmost digit intentionally to display error codes in some cases.

I got rid of some of them while I was there and most liked for display only status messages, the Vorne PC21xx. What a nice two or four line LCD (vacuum flourescent) display! It had parallel input for simple hardwired canned message only control, and two serial ports for 232 and 422. The coolest part was the built in network management (simple ASCII addressing and 232c to RS422 converter) so you could daisy chain 255 of them off of three wires from any ascii capable PLC. These were full blown, fully programmable indicators with buttons that perform crude HMI style control. You could embed code in your ascii to trigger scripts that were very easy to learn and implement or to display embedded variables, flash, scroll, etc.

We used canned messages, and had plans for doing productions totals, and time and date as "idle messages for shift changes, or other stoppages" when I left.

So to me the be$t method involves buying something that will exceed it purpose with very high up time, ease of replacement, for around $700ea.

---

Is there any method to connect an LCD to a PLC .... if yes, please give me an image clarifying that.

---

Is this:
(save picture and rotate, sorry, I wanted to get it all in there ;) )

VorneOKQBLetterhead.JPG