Need a programming tip in RS Logix

AB2005

Dear friends

We have a Corrugator machine in our plant which works 24hours a day in 3 shifts. We have recently installed a new SLC 5/03 in machine for automation purpose.

I want to prepare logic that whenever machine stops, the time of stopping and the downtime minutes would be logged into a file. I have worked many times with RS Logix but I did not prepare such logic before by using RS Logix. I thought about that logic which needed many integers as if machine stops say 20 times in one shift; I need 20 integers for saving the down time and many others for saving the time of stoppage.

Please assist me how I can achieve that goal without designing any HMI.

One method is to use the real time clock features in the SLC503
s:37 year
s:38 month
s:39 day
s:40 hours
s:41 minutes
s:42 seconds
record these when you get downtime save the values to the accuracy you need then add them to the older values place the total to where you can find them. or to whatever display method you would like

As mordred said, use S registers, then set up a fifo queue with the data from S registers, at the same time set a bit, this bit is going to be on as long as the machine is not working, this bit is also enabling a timer that is counting the seconds that the machine is not working, when the unit in back to work this bit is disable the time stop counting and you put accum data from the timer into anothet fifo queue. At the end what you got is like this:

stop time : yy mm dd hh mm ss "acc time from timer"

This info can the be displayed on a panelview.

You have to refine criteria for idle time, let me give you an example, idle time means that the unis is not working for more than 3 minutes for instance, if the unis start producing before this 3 minutes are completed then you don´t take this small time into account. The same happens for start working, back to production means that the unit is been producing for more than a minute after been idle for mor than 3 minutes. This is your decision otherwise you´re going to be with alot of meaningless data when idle machine is less than 2 minutes or the unit start producing and stop inmediately.

This is your decision otherwise you´re going to be with alot of meaningless data when idle machine is less than 2 minutes or the unit start producing and stop inmediately.
I want to prepare logic that whenever machine stops, the time of stopping and the downtime minutes would be logged into a file.
Above we see the cultural differences between Central America and Asia. In Asia, an unplanned stop of a few seconds would be important to log, and then to find out why it happened. In Latin America it is considered a nuisance and to be ignored, until the machine breaks down completely.

I am not saying that either cultural attitude is superior to the other. Each has advantages, and also disadvantages. We all have to learn to work successfully in the environment in which we find ourselves.

Last edited:
widelto said:
As mordred said, use S registers, then set up a fifo queue with the data from S registers, at the same time set a bit, this bit is going to be on as long as the machine is not working, this bit is also enabling a timer that is counting the seconds that the machine is not working, when the unit in back to work this bit is disable the time stop counting and you put accum data from the timer into anothet fifo queue. At the end what you got is like this:

stop time : yy mm dd hh mm ss "acc time from timer"

This info can the be displayed on a panelview.

You have to refine criteria for idle time, let me give you an example, idle time means that the unis is not working for more than 3 minutes for instance, if the unis start producing before this 3 minutes are completed then you don´t take this small time into account. The same happens for start working, back to production means that the unit is been producing for more than a minute after been idle for mor than 3 minutes. This is your decision otherwise you´re going to be with alot of meaningless data when idle machine is less than 2 minutes or the unit start producing and stop inmediately.

Dear Friend

Thank you very much for a good instruction. I used the instruction FFL with S integer and achieved my goal. Now every time if machine stops more than 5 minutes, the value of Clock hour, clock minutes and downtime time minutes log into next integers N9:0-49, N9:50-100 and N9:101-150 (50 integers for each value) and thus log 50 stoppages > 5minutes.

Now my next step is that I want to export the values of these integers into an Excel file so that i would be able to form a proper downtime file for which I would get print outs to display the actual downtime to management.

Waiting for another valuable reply.

What version of RSLinx are you using?

If you have only RSLinx Lite, then ignore the following:

Open RSLinx then RSWho, find your 5/03 and then Create a new DDE/OPC Topic.

You can then drill down to the addresses you want, and Copy DDE Link.

In Excel, Paste Special, as link.

Simple as that, and full details are available within RSLinx Help, even if you only have Lite.

Paul

OkiePC said:
What version of RSLinx are you using?

If you have only RSLinx Lite, then ignore the following:

Open RSLinx then RSWho, find your 5/03 and then Create a new DDE/OPC Topic.

You can then drill down to the addresses you want, and Copy DDE Link.

In Excel, Paste Special, as link.

Simple as that, and full details are available within RSLinx Help, even if you only have Lite.

Paul
Thanks for your kind reply. I have tried and created a DDE topic and then reached at copy DDE Link but failed to understand correctly what to do next. Can you explain me please with some detail?

Thanks in advance.