OMRON PLC-RedLion G306A-EZMarquee

gleon

I want to connect an EZMarquee (EZMR-2L20C) to an OMRON PLC: CQM1H-CPU21 and also a G306A Red Lion HMI. This PLC has just one built-in RS-232C port that I will use for the Red Lion HMI.
The EZMarquee uses ASCII RS-232/422/485. Do you think it would be possible to connect the EZMarquee too? I don't know if somebody has done something like this. I was thinking maybe using one of the RS-232C ports of the Red Lion HMI to write to the Marquee or I'm not sure if thru RS-422/485 it could be possible to control both. Any help is welcome. To add a serial board implies changing the processor (CPU51/61) adding like a $1000.

I have done something similar to this many times, just never with an EZMarquee. If all it is looking for is some ASCII, you can use the PortPrint function to send out ASCII strings. If you want to send tag data from the Omron, you can use the IntToText of DecToText functions to convert from integers or floating point values to ASCII to send to the marquee.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks for the reply DanYost. As far as the connection: Would you connect the Marquee to the Red Lion HMI RS-232C and send the ASCII out from the HMI application?

I definitely would, but that is only because I am not very familiar with the PLC. If you are not familiar with the PLC, I would use the HMI as well, as it is not too difficult to write the program, and I can help you.

Regards,
Dan