Mitsi and Barcode Question

mrtweaver

Currently have a Q series PLC with a GOT1000 HMI. We were thinking of interfacing a bar code reader into the PLC. There are several we are looking at but had some questions that I thought would be better asked on a forum like this. This is aimed more at someone whom might have already interfaces a Q series to a barcode reader.

1. What type of barcode reader did you use?

2. What type of interface and communication did you use?

3. How are you results?

The unit I am looking at most right now is from MSI. It is a slot barcode reader and outputs an ASCII string. However it has two option right now that I know of, that is rs232 thru serial 9 pin DB and USB. I know that Mitsi does not like you to use their serial port on the front of the processor. However do they have the same dislike if you use the USB connection here? Or is one required to puchase one of their many communication option cards?

Thanks for any and all feed back.

If you have an HMI connected to the serial point then suggest you buy the 232 card (I think it has 232/422 ports QJ range.
I have a number of Sick BC's connected to these & work fine.

Same here, Part numbers are as follows:

QJ71C24N - 1x RS232/ 1x RS422/485
QJ71C24N-R2 - 2x RS232

The manual for these models have an explanation of how to setup baud rate,parity etc and a small example program to read in Data.