Timer Question in MicroLogix 1200

wannalearn

Hi, everyone.

I mentioned a few months ago about purchasing a Panelview Component C600 and giving it a try. Well, we have no previous experience in PLCs, and it was fairly easy to get started. Getting connected was easy, IP address through an internet network. Choose from a list of pushbuttons, timers, counters... the usual, I guess.

But after getting started with the PLC program, I ran into an issue with a particular output that I can't make operate in the way I want. Any suggestions, besides finding another hobby, will be greatly appreciated.

Problem: I have a counter (prox switch) which, after "x" number of boxes, needs to sound a buzzer (output) for 1 second. I've tried the TON and TOF with no luck. I've used an XIO and XIC separately referenced to the timer before the output with no luck. I'm out of ideas... Do I need a different type of timer...?

Like I said, any help would be great.

thanks
Wannalearn

wannalearn said:
Hi, everyone.

I mentioned a few months ago about purchasing a Panelview Component C600 and giving it a try. Well, we have no previous experience in PLCs, and it was fairly easy to get started. Getting connected was easy, IP address through an internet network. Choose from a list of pushbuttons, timers, counters... the usual, I guess.

But after getting started with the PLC program, I ran into an issue with a particular output that I can't make operate in the way I want. Any suggestions, besides finding another hobby, will be greatly appreciated.

Problem: I have a counter (prox switch) which, after "x" number of boxes, needs to sound a buzzer (output) for 1 second. I've tried the TON and TOF with no luck. I've used an XIO and XIC separately referenced to the timer before the output with no luck. I'm out of ideas... Do I need a different type of timer...?

Like I said, any help would be great.

thanks
Wannalearn
When your counter is done (Counter.DN) latch a bit with a one shot.
Reset the counter (RES)after it is done so it won't miss another incoming box though. Another one shot.
The latched bit will start your timer for 1 second.
When the timer is done (Timer.DN), Unlatch your bit with a third one shot.
While the timer is timing (Timer.TT) bit will turn your Output ON.
It can be done in many different ways, I thougth this one was much easier to type quickly!

Last edited:
In response to showing you what I currently have, I noticed that .rss isn't a valid extension and I don't know how else to get that information to you...?

wannalearn said:
In response to showing you what I currently have, I noticed that .rss isn't a valid extension and I don't know how else to get that information to you...?
Just change the filename extension to ZIP instead of RSS
Just put a note on here that the file is an actual RSS and not a ZIP file.
That will work.

try this:

aaa001.JPG

Last edited:
Okie posted the code for you (screenshot)
He uses a TON which I also suggested.
I think you logic will also work.
I'd recommend using a One Shot for the counter right after your input count.
Good luck.
Looks like you got it(Either way).
EDIT: On network 13, I'd add the count sensor NOT ON to avoid missing a count prior to do your count reset.

Last edited:
It's all been wonderful information. Thanks to those involved above, and I'll try this out in the next hour or so. I'll keep you posted...

thanks,
wannalearn

wannalearn said:
It's all been wonderful information. Thanks to those involved above, and I'll try this out in the next hour or so. I'll keep you posted...

thanks,
wannalearn
Just be aware, if you do use a One shot prior to the counter, any changes in the background may double trigger the count.
Just thought about it.
Usually with background supression sensors and no changes on the actual product surface (background going from dark to light , etc) I do use the ONS.
I did not mean to confuse you, just adding what may be a potential issue if you go down that route.

10-4. You've been a great help. I'll have to come back to most of this to digest it, anyway, so I'll be sure to double check everything...

Thanks,
wannalearn