AB Panelview Component

Mark Buskell

I got a small system to design. 3 Analog inputs (4-20 ma), 2 Analog Outputs (4 -20 ma) plus 3 or 4 digital I/O. Its controlling water temperature through a steam value so I will be using PID's.

So far I am looking at using a MicroLogix 1200 with 1 IF4 and 1 OF4. They want the start/stop buttons as well as the temperature display on the HMI. They also want to be able to select different recipes for the temperature which also includes a dwell time. I am considering using the new 6" monochrome PanelView Component. I talked to our local A-B dealer and they said they haven't sold any of these units yet.

The above configured system is around $2000 or less.
Any feedback as to what I am proposing. I prefer to stay with A-B controls.

Someone suggested Unitronics but after looking at their PID controls, I am thinking that I will stay with AB PID's since I already know about them (no learning curve).

If you don't need the additional I/O or more than 4 expansion modules, go with the Micrologix 1100 instead of the 1200. It has Ethernet and online editing

TWControls said:
If you don't need the additional I/O or more than 4 expansion modules, go with the Micrologix 1100 instead of the 1200. It has Ethernet and online editing
I'd go with the 1100 and the ethernet port too.
Just read the tech notes about online editing with an 1100.
It needs to be tweaked a bit (Linx that is)otherwise your online edit(s) may fail and you need to download again (not sure if this will be an issue with you though, just good to know upfront).