1746-nio4i

drewcrew6

Hopefully someone can clear this up for me.
I'm not sure if its a problem with the card or incompatability?

I'm trying to use a 1746-nio4i card with a 5/01 proc. But when I enter run I get a fault that that slot has the wrong card in it .
I've changed the proc to a 5/03 and read the rack config and that reports the card correctly ( same rack as the 5/01). And allows me to enter run with same program (just changed the proc type to run on the 5/03 ) with no problem. I have double and triple checked rack config for the 5/01 and its right.

Any ideas ??

Anyone??

Thanks
Drewcrew6

Without delving into the manuals I don't think the version of firmware in the 501 is compatible with the analog module. I couldnt access the advanced features of the analog module until I at least had a 502 configured. Regards Alan

I know the SLC-5/01 can address just 8 I/O Words per slot (instead of 32). It lacks interrupts, and can't handle some advanced I/O modules.

But the 1746-NIO4I uses just 2 Input Words and 2 Output Words, so that shouldn't be the limitation.

And besides, RSLogix shouldn't let you compile a program in which a module isn't compatible with the controller; try inserting something like a HSCE2 module and RSLogix will object.

For troubleshooting, try entering the Module Code instead of selecting it from a list. For the 1746-NIO4I the module code is 3201.

What precisely is the fault code that the SLC-5/01 presents ?

The fault I was getting was
**** Module type in slot 1 is incorrect type ****

I tried to use the module id code and now it works fine !

I thought about doing that but figured it wouldn't make a difference,

I hate that when you're right there but don't do it till someone tells you to!!!!

Thanks

Drewcrew6

Wieeeerd.

Your editor must have the wrong ID coded into it's selector list. Not my first suspicion at all, but not outside the realm of possibility.

What programming software (and revision) are you using ? I doubt I'll be able to tell you "oh, yeah, we know about that" but I can give you the warm feeling of being the guy in the Knowledgebase file.

I'm using rslogix500 version 2.10.12.0
I haven't tried to upgrade it because I use it for my personal teaching and have no service agreement. Plus it was bought off of ebay for a song a dance so i'm almost afraid to go and look to see if I can update it. Don't want to open a can of worms!!!

Thanks
Drewcrew6

I don't know the legalities, but I'd bet that rockwell would love to list you as the owner if you'd pay the yearly maintenance fee. I think it's about 150 a year. But that's the only way to keep up to date with the new i/o and processors, etc. They've got us by the gonads, there. There's a good chance that your package won't talk to all the slc's that are already out there right now.

You're probably right about not being able to talk to all the proc.....but its for my own playing/learning and can't afford the latest an greatest so I deal with the incompatabilities the best I can!!!!!!!! Just the same its still aggrevating...as far as the support for $150 to much for my budget and like I said its just a tool and to play around with.

Drewcrew6