AB Dongle Activation?

DaGoose

Hey folks, This is my 1st post, I have been reading this post and geting most of my answers from you guys, but I have one that hasn't been addressed yet, so here it is.
Company bought an A/B Dongle so I can use the desk top and the laptop with the same program. I have called the Tech support number and talked to Mr. Green, Mr, Brown and been given the run around.o_O The problem I have is I loaded RS Linx Classic & Logic 500/5000 on the laptop, but can not get it to work. I plug the dongle in and the RED Light comes on, Windows XP "Dings" and tells me it is there, but the software will not run. Any help would be appreciated. My frustration level shoots right out the top trying to get help from the Tech Support at A/B. So I am turning the the folks that care. Thanks in advance.

Never seen or used a dongle for RS.

Just curious, you mentioned XP Dings and the red light comes on, does it comes with a driver so the hardware need to be recognized by windoz......? or does your previous activation [which came in a floppy] still in the hard disk?

You may get a clearer answer from who have used it.

Regards
_______

Are you sure it is a Dongle and not a USB drive? I recall reading somewhere on this forum a posting about you can take the activation floppy and move the information to a USB drive then you can use the USB drive to run the software. I dont recall the specifics but do remember that even AB had a paper on their web site about how to do it. I have been on the AB site and did not find anything about a dongle though.

randyk said:
How much does the dongle cost? Tried looking for it on AB website but could not find it.

See Picture below.

DongleCost.jpg

Can we legally put a link to the KB article? If the person has a contract, the link will open...correct? Just curious? I would start putting in links if it was acceptable. Just not sure of the rules. Thanks

You can be forgiven for assuming that the dongle just plugged and and activated the software. It's a little more complex because the dongle is just a transportable unique identifier.

The real work of FactoryTalk activation involves creating a a License File that ties together the PC/Dongle and the Software serial number. Once that License file is properly created and copied to any number of PCs, the dongle works as you expect.

It's pretty well described in the Knowledgebase and there should have been paper in the dongle and software boxes (some of it bright red) that describes the methods as well.

When I got the DONGLE it came in a clear plastic bag with an invoice and nothing else, No instructions, no software, I am away from the office at the present time but will check into it when I get back. Has me stumped. But the difficult I can accomplish real quick the impossiable takes me a tad bit longer.

Just to clarify some things, the activation must be the new FactoryTalk-style activation, not the old master disk activation, in order to use the dongle (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong).

When you activate using the FT Activation Tool, you must select the dongle as the 'Host ID' of the computer. Go through the activation process from there, and then take that .lic file that you end up with and put it on all the PCs you wish to use the software on. When you start the software, the license will say that the dongle needs to be there, and if it is, PROFIT!!!

Thats the way I have done it in the past (one time).