RsView SE, Logix Activation problem

frw312

I have a problem with product activations that keep changing from successful to unsuccessful. I am running RSview Studio SE v.5.0 and Controllogix 5000 v.17.

After is got the activation to work the first time, sometimes when I start either of the two programs or open Controllogix from a saved application icon, the warning comes up that says you have not successfully installed your activation for the products you are running and I have a 7 day grace period. When this happens the other program (RSview or Logix) also has an activation failure and the grace period warning. If I go to FactoryTalk activation program is doesn’t see both activations on the activation tab when the is a problem only the Logix license is there. On the rehost tab boot are shown.

If I shut the programs down and reboot eventually the activations come back. I have tried several different things including moving the directories up and down where the .lic files are on the settings tab of the FactoryTalk activation file. There are 2 directories that have the .lic files. These are under documents and settings\ all user\Rockwell\activations and documents and settings\ all user\activations. Does this sound correct that they are in there twice?

The thing that seems to be the most effective in getting the activation to work is whether or not my Ethernet connection is disabled. When it is disabled is when it seems to fail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I saw this problem when using the USB dongle. Before you start either application, open the Factory Talk Activation Tool. First look under the Current Activations Tab and verify that the activations are where you think they should be. THen, look under Settings tab and make sure the activation server is started and the path is correct and the box is checked to browse for activations at startup. If its not running, start the server.

I tried all the things listed. The activations are there and the settings paths are correct and the server is running. I still came up not successfully activated. I shut the program and restatred and it worked without a warning. It almost seems like it has a mind of its own.

Is the activation tied to a dongle or something else. I have had problems when it is tied to a wireless network adapter. When not connected, sometimes I can't see the license. Tied to a hardware ethernet or hard drive I never have that problem.

OG

frw312 said:
I have a problem with product activations that keep changing from successful to unsuccessful. I am running RSview Studio SE v.5.0 and Controllogix 5000 v.17.

After is got the activation to work the first time, sometimes when I start either of the two programs or open Controllogix from a saved application icon, the warning comes up that says you have not successfully installed your activation for the products you are running and I have a 7 day grace period. When this happens the other program (RSview or Logix) also has an activation failure and the grace period warning. If I go to FactoryTalk activation program is doesn’t see both activations on the activation tab when the is a problem only the Logix license is there. On the rehost tab boot are shown.

If I shut the programs down and reboot eventually the activations come back. I have tried several different things including moving the directories up and down where the .lic files are on the settings tab of the FactoryTalk activation file. There are 2 directories that have the .lic files. These are under documents and settings\ all user\Rockwell\activations and documents and settings\ all user\activations. Does this sound correct that they are in there twice?

The thing that seems to be the most effective in getting the activation to work is whether or not my Ethernet connection is disabled. When it is disabled is when it seems to fail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I have seen the same thing with my Rslogix 500. Ever since I installed all CPR9 stuff, these types of problems, not to mention long launch times have began to occur.

There is definitely something up with CPR9 FactoryTalk Activation

It is a hrdwire ethernet. The activation was tied to referenced to the computer ID not the hard drive. I see the long launch time as well, that is why i had been disabling the ethernet connection. It also affected the time it takes to test the program using a client connection

I do get the same thing though it was an upgrade from 4.0.
I do get a similar warning about a grace period but no mention of x days and such.
But, it keeps running.
I've tried their technotes and isntalled the new server FT activation instead of Client.
Well, nothing has changed
But, while studio is starting up I can see where it shows at the bottom the it checks activation from the drive.
Just weird.
And yes, it slowed down the start up considerably (compared to older version).

This input helps, so i may not be the only one with this typw of issue.

I have talked with an associate and he is haveing a similar problem with Controllogix v17, cpr 9. He quite getting the messages about the grace period and he is still able to communicate with the PLC. Not sure what will happen if he diconnets and reatarts computer. He has bee on the line with AB for several hours and they haven't solved yet. Is anybody else seeing problems with the cpr 9 revision? thanks

frw312 said:
This input helps, so i may not be the only one with this typw of issue.

I have talked with an associate and he is haveing a similar problem with Controllogix v17, cpr 9. He quite getting the messages about the grace period and he is still able to communicate with the PLC. Not sure what will happen if he diconnets and reatarts computer. He has bee on the line with AB for several hours and they haven't solved yet. Is anybody else seeing problems with the cpr 9 revision? thanks

All the grief of long wait times to launch applications started with CPR9. There definitely something wrong with the FactoryTalk Activation starting with CPR9

I know this thread is old but I thought I would add my $0.02.

I had a laptop that had activations that would sometimes work and other times go into grace peroid. I found out that I had this problem because I had the activation tied to the ethernet port. I found out that if I had my laptop plugged in before I booted up the activations would work fine, but if I turned it on when it was on battery I would get the grace period warning. On my laptop if it is on battery it will disable the ethernet port to save power. Because it is disabled, it can't varify the MAC address because the voltage to the port was removed. I have now converted all activations over to the "DISK_SERIAL_NUM=" format and all is well...

Hi
Not really much help with your Rockwell problems but I have had previous issues with GE licencing which ended up with needing some 'Service Dependencies' configured... that is, dont load service xxxxx until service yyyyy is loaded.

Sounds like sometimes the services load ok (activated) and sometimes dont (not activated)

Cheers

I have the same problem with logix 5000 and Factory talk, sometimes it activates, sometimes not, I have spoken with AB and they just keep sending me new activation files. This is obviously curing symptom not the cause and is no good when the production line is down. The new activation files are just as unreliable, i have heard that anti virus software can cause this, like Mcaffee, but I have disproved this too. What is the answer, does anyone know

Might as well throw another Activation related issue into the mix w/ CPR9...

I have SE, Logix17 and LogixEMU5000. For whatever reason, sometimes when starting up EMU or Logix17, it tries to access the A drive and throws an exception error window because there's no floppy in the drive. The window gives me the options of 'Try Again', 'Cancel' and 'Continue'. If I hit 'Continue' about 8 or 10 times (the error pops back), it eventually loads with the proper activation. Any solution?