Self-modifying code in a Rockwell Logix 5562S

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
While removing old code from part of the program where a station had been removed, I had a contact disappear in a completely different routine.

This routine, among other things, controlled a safety mat (but was not part of the logic in the in the safety PLC).

Up until that point I have never even *been* in that routine. Not even looking around.

The routine that I was working in was some old logic that controlled a part of the machine that had been removed. I was removing unused tasks when the safety mat stopped inhibiting the turnover from moving while someone was standing on the mat.

This was actually a good thing in that we found out that the contractor didn't have any code for the safeties in the LSP. Now he has something new to do...

I fixed the missing contact problem, and went back to work on removing old code. Not long after that, the sonic welder went down. I fought it for what seemed like forever, and eventually it started back up.

The next day, the Snap Press went down and I eventually gave up on trying to diagnose the problem and dumped an older copy of the program in back in.

After this had happened three times I was pretty sure where it was coming from, and just to demonstrate the problem, I added one contact to a non-functional (AFI'ed) rung. Sure enough, the Snap Press went down. Removing the contact didn't fix the problem. I ended up dumping in an older copy.

At this point I'm waiting on Maintenance to swap out the processor and Safety Partner with new ones. I hope that this will clear up the problem.

Otherwise, I'll convert the program to a .L5K file and re-import it.

And the routine that is causing the problems has no ties to where the problems are happening. So I'm confident that it isn't me screwing things up. Just in case you were wondering. ;)

BTW, this is a Logix 5562S and a 55LSP.

Edit:

Just to clarify, any editing (even in non-functional rungs) in this one routine will cause other routines to **** out. Editing anything in any other routine is no problem whatsoever.

Last edited: