PLC5 not working

m.nazish

Hi,

I am working on PLC5/20E controller and trying to communicate with the RSLogix using Ethernet port. But it seems there is problem with the controller. I did the troubleshooting and found out that PROC indicator in the controller should show GREEN signal whereas in my controller it is showing steady RED which means there is chance of memory loss. I also tried possible combinations of switches (ON/OFF) in I/O backplane chassis but that also does not resolve the issue. please HELP!

Also, if I use serial port-channel0 D-shell 25 pin of the PLC5 controller then the other end of the cable should also go to the D-shell 25 pin of system (CPU) for communiaction with RSLogix. Please confirm

Operaghost said:
Solid Red light means either a corrupted program or no program. Switches won't help. The program need to be reloaded.

OG
Thanks a lot for the reply! Yes i agree with your answer. Well, for the first time i am working on PLC5 so i dont know how to reload the program. Can you please guide me?

Connect the serial cable from the PC to the front of the PLC-5. This cable needs to be a "null modem" cable. This is also sometimes called a crossover cable.

Then open the RSLinx software. Go to the Communications menu and select Configure Drivers. Look in the lower part of the window and see if you have an existing RS232 driver already created. In my example, it is called AB_DF1-1. That is the default name.

If you see a similar option on your screen, double-click on it to reconfigure and then select Auto Configure.

If you do not see a similar entry, then go to the drop down field for Available Driver Types and select RS-232 DF1 devices and click Add New. click OK to accept the default name and then click Auto Configure.

Hopefully, either way you should see "Auto Configuration successful".

Are you able to see that?

OG

hi,

sorry for late reply and thanks for your last reply. I followed the same method you described in the last reply and driver successfully got auto configured with the message "Auto Configuration successfull". But even after this the PROC indicator is showing solid red color and RSLogix is unable to recognise the device i.e. PLC5. Could you please help?

Thanks in Advance!

1st, you have to gon online with the PLC. So far you have setup the communication path, but you are not yet online.

In RSLogix5 go to the communication dialog and when the PLC5/20E is visible, select it and select "go online".
If you dont have the program file, or the program file is not up-to-date, you will be prompted to do an upload and possibly to merge with an offline file. You can do the latter, so you will get the comments and symbols from the offline file.

When online with the PLC5 via RSLogix5, you will see in the upper left corner a field with red color and the status text "FAULT". Select this field, which is a drop-down-menu, and select "Goto error". You will be brought to the currently active error in the processor status file.

edit: If there is an EPROM (the black/yellow thing sitting in a slot in the CPU), then you probably do not have to use RSLogix5 to load the program. You can do so by simply removing the battery and cycling power to the CPU.
If there is an EPROM, then it is more likely that there is a hardware error, than that the program has been lost.

Last edited:
Thnx for the reply. i followed the same aforementioned method and selected "Go Online". In the new window thus opened, I have four tabs - A "cancel" tab, "Create a file" tab, "Upload /merge" file tab and a Browse tab but Upload file tab is grey and is not working. Also i am getting a message "file not matching" on the top of the new window. Could you please guide me?

Last edited:
Choose either Create a file (creates a new file with no comments or symbols)
or Upload/Merge (combines the PLC code and data files with the offline comments and symbols). In the latter case you have to point to an offline .rsp file.

Hi,

I am attaching the files below which will help you in understanding the problem with "create a file" and "upload/merge" options.

Most likely the directory that RSLogix is pointing to is NOT the location of the PLC file. Try browsing to the location of the PLC file. If RSLogix finds a compatible file, then the upload box will become active.

Program files: 0
Data files: 0
User Program Checksum: 0000

I think this tells us the PLC memory has been cleared.

In stead of doing an upload, you should download the offline file, or reload the EPROM if there is one inserted.

About the Privilege Violation error:

It could be because the CPU has been cleared.
If it also happens when you try to download, then check if the keyswitch is in PROG or REM/RUN position.
If that does not help, then check the dip switches in the chassis (you have to remove the CPU !).
Switch position 8 (the bottom one) sets memory protection when ON, so it should be OFF.
Also interesting are switches 6 and 7 that define when the EPROM must be loaded. Typical is 6=ON , 7=OFF which causes EPROM transfer if the memory has been corrupted.

Last edited: